cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ceridwen11
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Password protect wifi?

Is it possible to password protect the wifi?  I have a BT broadband/phone package but need to restrict wifi use .... teenagers ....  

Naive question perhaps  but I don't know the answer or how I could go about doing it!  Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Password protect wifi?

Your wireless connection to your homehub is already protected with a wireless passkey which is found on the label on the homehub. If you want to change that to something else you can by going into the homehub management pages and change it to what ever you want.

You would then need the new passkey before you could connect by wireless. This however can be overcome by doing a factory reset of the homehub which would put the new passkey back to the wireless passkey on the label.

If you do decide to change it you must be connected to the homehub by Ethernet cable in order to make the changes. 

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

Welcome to the forum. Presumably you're using a BT home hub. This has a wireless key which must be entered into any device connecting to it; it also has an admin password. Both of these are printed on the hub or a card which goes with it.

You can change both of these to anything you want by entering 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigating to the appropriate settings. That will prevent anyone without the details connecting to the hub, but if the teenagers are yours they probably won't have much trouble cracking it when your back's turned if they're so inclined. The hub also has the facility to restrict use on selected devices to certain times but again it's easy to get round by a determined person with physical access to the hub.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

gg30340 wrote:

If you do decide to change it you must be connected to the homehub by Ethernet cable in order to make the changes. 

So you're on the night shift as well gg! Not sure about that quoted - I've changed my details while connected wirelessly.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

@Ceridwen11 wrote:

Is it possible to password protect the wifi?  I have a BT broadband/phone package but need to restrict wifi use .... teenagers ....  

Naive question perhaps  but I don't know the answer or how I could go about doing it!  Thanks.

If you're using a home hub, you could set up BT access control via the hub manager -> http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9112

However some others have reported that it doesn't work as it's supposed to (but it should work)  and can be overridden by resetting the hub.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@pottyperson wrote:

gg30340 wrote:

So you're on the night shift as well gg! Not sure about that quoted - I've changed my details while connected wirelessly.

I thought while connected by wireless and you changed the passkey you would lose connection because the device you were changing it with would be using the old passkey and would be locked out and thrown off. If you have done it then what you say will be correct.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

Tried it again gg. You do lose connection when you change the key but the hub retains the new info.

--