cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Pathetic Broadband speeds

Bt offers broadband speeds up to 72mb/s , which is pretty deascent , for average home use.

But when looking at other ISP's i see WAY better offers.

Like eir , they offer 1000mb/s , which is 928mb/s faster than BT's fastest.

So why are BT holding back? 

The reason this came to my attention is that my BT broadband had a down speed of no less than 50mb/s ever , yet the past week it has for some reason been at a ateady 15mb/s.

And my upload use to reach 10mb/s , and now sits on 8.5mb/s.

and even though the speeds i origionally had (which have for some reason disappeared) are better than what they have reduced to , they are still no where near the standard of eir's 1000mb/s.

BT why wont you do anything to improve speeds.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Pathetic Broadband speeds

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.
Everyone posting here, are just BT customers like myself

This is a public forum which can be viewed worldwide, so please do not post any personal information, especially phone numbers, account numbers, fault numbers, address information or email addresses, as this could be used to impersonate you.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Then, if you have a Home Hub 5, please display the full connection statistics including noise margins, by following the instructions on this page.

Check your connection speed for the Home Hub 5

Could you please post the results from the BT Speedtester, including the further diagnostics.

BT Wholesale Speedtester

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

BT offer fibre to premises speeds of 300Mbps already and faster speeds already

you are on fibre to cabinet which has a maximum possible speed of 80Mbps
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

i dont have hub 5 , i have hub 3 , and i understand its not going to have great up and download speed , considering its 2 generations behind , my issue is 1. why did it suddenly drop in speed and 2. why would someone upgrade to a plan for a max of 72mb/s , when there are others with 1000mb/s

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

So you must have a white Openreach modem?

Its that which  determines the connection speed, not the home hub 3.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

yes i do have one , is there any way to fix the issue , or any site that will give me a rundown? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

unfortunately all the useful stats are held by the modem unless you have it unlocked.  post results from dslchecker and btspeedtester diagnostic test - Keith provided the links

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

can premesis be used for personal home use?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

yes fibre to premises is a residential service but is not available in many exchange areas
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

premises as in business premises should be using a business conenction  according to BT T&C residential lines should not be used for bsuiness purposes   or do you mean FTTH - fibre to the home?  dslchecker will show if available

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings