Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jarv1978
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Pathetic download speed

Hi-

Been having problems with the download speed on infinity for a couple of weeks now. I've just run a speed test and it's giving me a whopping 0.07MB download speed. Admittedly, that's over wifi on my laptop, but I've tried it through a wired connection on the PS3 for little better. 

Address is North West London. 

Up until January, it was fine, but now we struggle to get above 8MB- and that's after a hard reset on the hub. 

Any advice on how to fix it? Because this is so far below the advertised download speed that I'm seriously thinking of taking my custom elsewhere. 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Jarv1978
Beginner
Message 2 of 12

Re: Pathetic download speed

Although, having siad that, it may be because the Hub is seriously old- I think it's 3. How do I go about getting one that works sent?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Make a direct connection from your PC/Laptop to the white Openreach modem which will eliminate the homehub. Follow this guide to do that. Use your computer as normal and run a speed test. If it improves you will know it is a faulty hub.

Obvoiusly you can not connect any other devices when this is being done.

Step 1: Remove the homehub from the modem

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop into the modem using LAN1 port

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4: Connect to the internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5: Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

can you please run the further diagnostics part of the BT speedtest and post the results this should be done with a wired connection

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

there is another post here https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Infinity-2-highly-unstable-in-West-London-r... from NW London

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Jarv1978
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

OK- I had to turn it off and on again to even get on line, but when I've run it, it's now giving me 40MB download speed.

I'm fine with that, but what's intensely aggravating is that this will be temporary, and within a couple of hours it will be below 2MB again.

My wife works from home 3 days a week and it's impeding her ability to perform. 

Is there some serious lack of stability across north west london (as per the other thread)?

0 Ratings
Jarv1978
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

OK- noticed it was slower, so I ran that test you've asked for. 

Results: 

Dowload speed 1.67

Upload speed 9.33

Ping latency 0

That's only half an hour after the previous one. I don't really want to be resetting everything every time I try to use the internet, to be honest. 

0 Ratings
Jarv1978
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

And I've just run it again, and it's as below:

Download Speed: 42.75

Upload Speed: 13.07

Ping: 37

This is seriously unstable. 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

could you post the further diagnostics part ot the test as asked fo this follows that first basic test
0 Ratings
Jarv1978
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Sorry- was out. 

Doing it again.

Current speed is 3.38 down and 3.81.something up. Acceptable is 60 to 77.42 down and 20 up

Our IP profile is 77.42 down

It's asking me to  go to the next bit, as I assume this is deeply unacceptable. 

0 Ratings