cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ehjk
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Pay for FTTP

Does anyone know if it is possible to pay for installation of FTTP? My exchange is on the list for installation in 2014 with no firm dates. I want to know if I can somehow have the FTTP Aggregator & Splitters requested upfront so that it is part of our exchange plans. I would like to know what the costs would be, or has anyone ever done a similar thing to get FTTP installed?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
ptan
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Pay for FTTP

Hi ehjk

Welcome to the Forum

Do you know if it is true FTTP or FTTPoD? What does the BB checker say?

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

I am on the Tunbridge Wells exchange and that is showing that FTTPoD is available but as yet no ISP is offering the service. It is a great shame as Tun Wells and a number of other exchanges were the first to have this bestowed upon them but you can't get it!

ptan

0 Ratings
ehjk
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

At the moment our exchange doesn't even have FTTC. What I am getting at is they are planning the rollout at the moment. I want to know if FTTPoD is the only way to pay for ensuring FTTP. My assumption is right now we'll just get FTTC without FTTPoD - I was curious if you could pay for FTTP with having the FTTPoD option? i.e. a truely one-off run of fibre to my house.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Reading through various posts it appears that whilst FTTPoD is "available" none of the ISPs are actually offering it.

The provision is up to the ISP and not OpenReach as I understand it.

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 5 of 9

FTTPoD is potentially very expensive, it puts a fibre directly from your street cab(FTTC cabinet) to your house however you have to pay the cost for that; something thats being quoted as approx £1000(per mile but I wouldnt be suprised if there was a 1 mile minimum or something)! I hope you've got deep pockets but at least its cheaper than a fibre from the exchange to your premesis. I think for the most part BT are targetting buisnesses with this, potentially some peeps with deep pockets at long distances from the street cab although the further you are the more money it will cost you.

0 Ratings
ehjk
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

I'm not against paying for the installation, I'm not far from our street cabinet (couple hundred meters). I'm in a village location, and work from home. FTTC is fine with me but as I said I wouldn't be against paying something like £1k for installation of FTTP if I was getting around 300mbps. From what I've read the 1st FTTP customer normally takes a hit of the costs for the splitter etc. However, as there is no way of contacting the Openreach planners I'm beginning to wonder how I would even request FTTP until FTTC is in and see if FTTPoD comes up as an option?

0 Ratings
ehjk
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Incase anyone else is wondering, came across this pricing page on Openreach for FTTPoD:

FTTPoD

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

If your premises is not within an area where the PCP has FTTC availability then you cannot get Fibre on Demand.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Sage
Message 9 of 9

Openreach have been offering FTTPoD to ISP's for several months.

So far no ISP has offered the service to customers. It could be a case of the ISP's not seeing how they can price the service to make it commercially viable for them. Besides that you need to be connected to a fibre enabled PCP as the FTTPoD is run from the local fibre node.- No FTTC no FTTPoD.

Things will change it's just a matter of when!

0 Ratings