cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 13

Pay to own movies to be available on BT YouView

BT is claiming to be the the first pay-TV provider in the UK to offer movies to buy-to-keep as well as rent.

Customers will now be able to buy many of the latest blockbusters from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, along with a selection of modern greats and classics, on BT’s YouView box.

Sounds like a step in the right direction although still many questions on how it will actually work.

http://advanced-television.com/

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
JohnKelly
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Pay to own movies to be available on BT YouView

Nice idea but how do you keep them? I assume they can be archived off the youview box somehow and stored somewhere else or do you just buy the right to watch them in perpetuity which would mean a massive storage facility somewhere just for the films that are sold.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 13

I have been asking questions but so far not got many answers. I have been told that HD films are downloaded onto your box but SD films are streamed everytime.

I would like to know if you can delete and re-download as many times as you like and if there is somewhere which holds all your purchased films so you can see what you have bought over time and re-download one you fancy watching. If you have to keep them all on your HDD I think a 500GB will start to get used up faster than people think.

I would love to think one of the mods/bt tech guys on here will come and answer some of the questions but I am fairly certain that wont happen. They only seem to reply to peoples faults not questions about the service.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 13

According to media release:

The top titles available to buy in Digital HD and SD, include The Wolverine, DreamWorks Animation’s Turbo (from February 17) and The Croods from Fox; Elysium, Captain Phillips (from February 10) and The Smurfs 2 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, as well as customer favourites such as The Social Network, Alien franchise, Black Swan, Jerry Maguire. Library prices start from as little as £8.99 for films in Digital HD and £5.99 for SD. 

BT intends to expand the service to include TV box sets over the coming months. 

0 Ratings
StewM
Guru
Message 5 of 13

Perhaps this link might shed a little more light on the subject.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48185/kw/Pay%20to%20own%20movies/c/348,5457,5529/sess...

Stew
0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 13

Thanks StewM that answers almost all queries...except two.

Can I delete films from my set top box that I've bought?

It’s not possible to delete these films. You can use a parental control PIN if you want to restrict access to this content.

1)What happens if your hard drive is full and you buy a film.

2)What happens if you buy a lot of films and then have no space to record programmes and use the set top box as it was intended as a PVR.

0 Ratings
StewM
Guru
Message 7 of 13

My take. If you leave, BT will provide you with a DVD so the films will be stored on BT servers and downloaded to your box. BT say they will provide you with a digital copy (in the future) so maybe deleting them may change?
0 Ratings
speedtrip
Expert
Message 8 of 13

Note that its a DVD NOT Blu-Ray, so if you bought HD, and 'leave', you'll only get SD to keep !

0 Ratings
TrickyDicky
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

I have actually done this .... I wanted to see Django Unchained so searched films to quickly see if it was available, and it came up as a 'Purchase' Option. I read the guidance and information that was then available and went for it!!

I purchased it in HD for £9.99 (I recall) and watched it .......... 5.1 kicked in ok (& Btw it's a good film)

It now sits in the Purchased partition and you can watch it as many times as you like.

The 'info/bump' I read leaves some options a bit open at the mo (while 'they' decide finer detail I guess) but it stated that it may remain available in Purchase section for up to 12 months. At some stage you would be given format options to choose from and your selection would then be sent to you.

I like the idea a lot .............nice one BT   

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings Star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Steve_M
BT TV Expert
Message 10 of 13

Hi All,

It is still early days for this service with the DVD-in-the-post solution being temporary.

All films on youview are streamed in real time so they won't ever take up space on your harddrives! I think when the talk about 'deleting' that they mean 'removing the reference to'. For example if you buy 'Spiceworld' then it will always appear under your purchases screen.

Steve

0 Ratings