cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Paying for unlimited BT infinity 2 and getting speeds much slower than infinity1!

Can someone please help or advise me.

We moved into our bungalow 15 months ago. It's owned by the local housing association.

We, originally had sky fibre, which was giving us a speed of 27mbps.

As my contract ran out I decided to move to BT and also upgrade to Fibre Unlimited 2, as we were told we would get up to 44mbps.

Moving to BT has yielded several advantages, firstly the inclusion of free BT sport is a huge bonus as I'm a fan of both football and the ufc!

Our internet connection is another matter however. We get a, more or less, steady 23mbps.

This is nowhere near fast enough for what we're paying. In fact we could have plumped for the normal Fibre Unlimited 1 and still got these speeds but at a substantial cost reduction each month.

We never had an engineer visit us when we switched to BT, just a modem arriving in the post.

After initial connection and set up we were getting speeds comparable to sky, 26 to 27mbps. Not long after we were getting constant connection drop outs.

After a lengthy call to the call centre in India (they can be hard to understand) I was advised to unscrew the front plate off the master socket and connect the modem, directly, to the other input, I presume this is the master input. This solved the drop out problem and our connection is relatively stable, suffering from the occasional loss of internet, to which a modem reboot solves the problem.

The main problem we now have is the front of the socket is hanging off, there are loose wires in the socket that are coming from a dead extension in the living room. Could this be causing us a problem?

I've ran the online bt broadband troubleshooter and it says that the line is fine and also the connection between the modem and socket is fine (which, I presume, would rule out the wires interfering). 

We would like an engineer to visit but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay 130 notes for a visit, that may well entail sorting this internal wiring out, which is something we inherited, therefore is not caused by us!

My partner is disabled and I'm her full time carer so money is not very easy to come by!

Can you advise me the best way to tackle this problem? Can I be downgraded and refunded, for not having the appropriate level of broadband, that I was promised or is it something I have to live with. 

Is the internal wiring the landlords responsibility?

Thanking you in anticipation, Ivan Fojan (Mondyrocks)

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Paying for unlimited BT infinity 2 and getting speeds much slower than infinity1!

You will only ever get the speed that your line can support regardless of what package you are on. If you could only get 27Mbps with Sky that is more or less all you will get with BT or any other provider. Even if you could get 44Mbps you would be able to get that on Infinity 1 at a cheaper cost so you are wasting your money being on Infinity 2.

Did you carry out an estimate check before you signed up?

In order to give advice can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

As regards the socket, you would be charged if BT send an engineer to sort it. You would be better to either replace it yourself or get a local engineer out to rewire it for you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Re: Paying for unlimited BT infinity 2 and getting speeds much slower than infinity1!

dslchecker.jpgspeedtest.jpgfurther results.jpghub info.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Hi,

I posted the screenshots as requested, after having problems trying to log back in.

It would not accept my password and the password reset screen tells me I have insufficient priveledges!

Anyway, as you can see it tells me our line is only capable of just over 24mbps. Strange when we were getting a constant, stable 27mbps with sky!

You also said that there was no point going for infinity 2 because we could get 44mbps on infinity 1.

When we took out the contract infinity 1 was capped at 37mbps and as we are all heavy and constant, users of the internet, we thought that going for the faster option was the right option.

My logic was thus.

Infinity 1 capped at 37mbps, if you go to infinity 2 then you become uncapped and therefore able to achieve a faster speed, up to 78mbps (or however fast it is).

My line running at 27mbps (originally) capped, should be able to run at 44mbps.

Obviously my logic was at fault.

I presume you work for BT. If you can tell me on this forum, that I won't get any more than the line can support then why couldn't BT tell me when I ordered? I'm not on about small print here, I'm on about being honest and up front.

The least they should do is refund the difference and drop my bill each month.

The way they advertise is about as clear as mud, relying on a lack of tech savvy from their customers.

We can live with our speed, it's fine for what we do, faster would be better but it's stable and more than manageable. We used to get 5mbps when we moved to this area just over 4 years ago so it's decent BUT I don't like paying for a service and not having it delivered.

Promising customers up to 78mbps then delivering lower speeds than infinity 1 should AUTOMATICALLY mean a reduction of your monthly bill, not having the attitude that it's the customers fault for ordering it in the first place.

It's not my job to know about the ins and outs of fibre optic technology, that's the suppliers job, in this case BT.

The BT broadband availability checker is misleading as it gives a much higher figure than anyone can expect.

This comes across as an attempt (albeit a successful one by the look of the amount of complaints) to pull the wool over the customers eyes and fleece them for as much as possible!

I'm afraid honesty is not a word you'd associate with British Telecom!

I'm sorry about the rant but to say I'm **bleep** off is the understatement of the year!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

from your stats your attainable is only 42mb so selecting infinity 2 was never going to happen.  if you selected infinity 2 hoping to get faster speed then you will not get a refund and sooner you phone the options team who are uk based 0800800030 to downgrade the better and save some money

your conenction time is only 15hrs is that due to manual reset or router dropping connection?  your noise margin is higher than normal 6db suggesting line is dropping/being reset often

you need to stay conmnected 24/7 and DLM should reduce your noise margin and move speed nearer attainable speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

I ran the troubleshooter yesterday which said to reset the modem, that's why it's only had a 15 hour connection.

You say DLM will reduce the noise margin. Excuse my ignorance but what's DLM??

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

this will help  https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Engineer booked for Monday 6th June!

Wish us luck 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

As a final thought, how about BT sending an engineer, every time someone orders internet from them? They could do a check on the line and equipment before installation.

But that would cost too much and take a bit off their billions of profit each year 😛

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

As its Openreach, not BT Retail that do the work, they would not have the resource to do this, and would pass the charge onto BT Retail anyway.

People can always pay to have an installation visit if they wish.

0 Ratings