cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 29

Peak hours bandwidth/possible throttling.

I've been with BT for 10 years, and had their broadband for most of that time, and my line has rarely, if ever, been this bad. My bandwidth drops to nearly unusable levels during peak hours, around 500kb/s and unstable (approx 50kB/s real download speed), it does this every day, starting around 5pm and getting better again in the early hours.

Just for perspective, my line has always been excellent, I live about 100m from the exchange, and under normal operation I get the max of what my line can offer, with low stable latency.

All this started some time before Christmas, and really was as if someone had just flicked a switch. I'm not buying that this is line contention/overload - it just doesn't behave like that, it changes very suddenly. My connection currently has two modes; 500kb/s and 7mb/s. It's as if I'm being throttled by BT during peak hours, however I have not broken the FUP and this is now the third consecutive month this is happening.

I'm on option 3 (with vision), and running the version 2 homehub. Stats below:

Connection Information
Line state    Connected
Connection time    0 days, 00:51:20
Downstream    7,616 Kbps
Upstream    448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI    0/38
Type    PPPoA
Modulation    G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type    Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)    15.0 dB / 23.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)    6.5 dB / 4.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)    15.3 dBm / 1.6 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)    0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)    0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)    0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)    15 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)    1 / 5
HEC Errors (Down/Up)    0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)    1 / 1

These are the current readings taken from the hub while my connection is in "choked" mode, I have approx 500kb/s of bandwith. My upload seems fine at around 350kb/s, this never changes. I hope someone who can help reads this as calling support is an exercise in futility.

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: Peak hours bandwidth/possible throttling.

Can you run bt speed test and post here that will help with your problems
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 29

At 17:30 I was getting approx 7.0mb/s, at 18:30 I am getting less than 1.0mb/s, here is the BT Speedtest results, I believe the 2nd part is because I have BT vision and that's the "reserved" part of the connection, as you can see my sync speeds are good and my ip profile is about right, however the actual bandwidth is terrible.

1. Best Effort Test:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 652 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

2. Assured Rate Test:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 506 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 576-600 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 600 Kbps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 29

Im in the same boat as you, between 4pm and midnight every day my speed drops to less than 1mbit you can set your watch by it, infact i tested it the other day, at 3:58 i started a download i knew was from a fast server and sure enough at 4pm my download speed dropped from 750kB/s to less than 100kB/s.

I have an engineer coming out this afternoon but i highly doubt he will find any faults as its pretty darn clear it is traffic throttling.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 29

welcome to BT the worst ISP ull come across for throttling, i cancelled my contract with BT because of this and also the pathetic customer service from air india.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 29

To be fair i didnt even have to contact BT about this, they contact me on twitter after seeing one of my tweets, the customer support over the last few days from BT Care twitter has been great.

Anyway the engineer has just been, there was a fault with my line so he has fixed up the wireing and put on a new face plate, now we just wait till 4pm to see if my speeds drop again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 29

If you had unstable latency, and drastic bandwidth reduction 24/7 than I could understand it being your line. From what you describe it sounds very much like the problem I have and I'm 99% convinced it's an "issue" at the exchange. It's either crazy amounts of congestion or artificial throttling.

My connection has always been superb up until the last few months, as per the line stats posted above the attenuation is almost non existant, and I'm 180m from the exchange. I just wish someone from support would come out and say "Yes theres a problem at your exchange and its being worked on, give it a week and it will be sorted" though the chances of that are slim. It would be a shame to cancel everything as I have phone/bb/tv with BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 29

My village has a population of around 800 and my exchange is a stones throw from my front door, so i cant see the exchange being congested or it being an issue with line length, i do still think it is throttleing on BT's end though as i dont see how a fault on the line can only effect my connection between 4pm and 12am.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 29

well its now 4:15pm and my internet is still giving me max speed, how strange.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 29

seems like i spoke to soon, since about 6pm its been gradually getting slower and im now down to less than 1mbit/s again.

0 Ratings