Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamiemat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Peak time speed & account issue

Go to solution

Hi everyone! 🙂

Hoping someone can help me with this. I actually have two problems here so I'll split them so they don't get mixed up.

1. Evening speed issues/congestion. I'm on Doune (ESDOU) cab 3 and for what is probably the last 14 days or so I've had speed problems between 19:00 - 23:30, I know this is peak time and both accept and expect some issues during that time but its not uncommon for me to be seeing speeds below 10Mbps on occasion, though often its between 15 - 25Mbps. Outside of those hours I basically get a solid unwavering 50Mbps. I'm not a massively heavy user but I fear it will start impacting my BT TV service if watching/recording two things in HD during that time.

2. This is an account based issue. My BT TV service was due to be activated on the 16th June, and it was active and working immediately when the box arrived on the 17th. However when setting it up I noticed my Smart Hub lights go off, after checking why I noticed my sync speed was 80Mbps! Yes I'd been moved to Infinity 2 when I should be on Infinity 1!. So anyway to make a long story even longer the BT TV order stuck open had had to be passed around different departments eventually getting to a tech team that phoned me back and closed the stuck order but tell me I'm definitely on Infinity 1 and they have not changed it!

Even though I don't mind the extra speed and know its not related to the first issue (as the slow speeds started before then) I have a fear I'll either start being wrongly billed as a result or worse - cut off!

And whats more my account shows an empty fault reference in progress after running the speed test online. Its all a mess.

To summarise - Peak time speed issues, Infinity 1 service somehow jumped to Infinity 2 but still showing as Infinity 1 on account and an open (but empty) fault reference.

Hopefully one of the mods can offer some assistance as nobody on the phone or live chat can!.

Many thanks,

Jamie

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Peak time speed & account issue

Go to solution

Please do the following. Sometime tomorrow run a speedtest HERE before peak time, then run a second one at peak time when it's slow.

Both times please run the "Futher Diagnostics" and post beck the results. It will also show if you are on Infinity 1 or 2.

0 Ratings
jamiemat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply! There is no doubt my sync speed has changed, just puzzled why both my account and BT's tech team says it hasn't! here are the current result;

Download speed achieved during the test was - 74.47 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-77.35 Mbps .
 Additional Information: IP Profile for your line is - 77.35 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 17.34Mbps
Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

As you can see all is great at the moment but certainly Infinity 2 speeds - which only makes the evening speed drops even worse.

Not sure I can get test done tomorrow during the window it slows down in but I'll try and get it, only thing is its so erratic as I can try it one minute and be sub 10Mbps and next its at 25+

Anyway while I'm here Smart Hub stats are;

Connection status: Connected
 BT Broadband /
 BT Infinity /
 BT Infinity 3 and 4:
  BT Infinity
 Firmware version:
SG4B10002244
 Firmware updated:
17-May-2017
 Serial number:
<removed>
 Downstream sync speed:
80.00 Mbps
 Upstream sync speed:
20.00 Mbps
 Network uptime:
6 Days, 7 Hours 3 Minutes
 System uptime:
8 Days, 13 Hours 47 Minutes
 BT Wi-fi status:
Active

And detailed;

Product name:
BT Hub 6A
Serial number:
<removed>
Firmware version:
SG4B10002244
Firmware updated:
17-May-2017
Board version:
Gui version:
DSL uptime:
6 Days, 7 Hours 6 Minutes 37 Seconds
Data rate:
20.00 kbps / 80.00 kbps
Maximum data rate:
19999 / 98716
Noise margin:
15.5 / 10.9
Line attenuation:
Signal attenuation:
VPI / VCI:
0/38
Modulation:
G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type:
Fast Path
Data sent / received:
733 MB Uploaded / 872 MB Downloaded
Broadband username:
bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi:
Active
2.4 GHz wireless network name:
<removed>
2.4 GHz wireless channel:
Smart (Channel 11)
5 GHz wireless network name:
<removed>
5 GHz wireless channel:
Smart (Channel 36)
Wireless security:
WPA2 (Recommended)
Band steering:
Off
Wireless mode:
Mode 1
Firewall:
On
MAC address:
<removed>
Software variant:
-
Boot loader:

And for good measure my flat was built in 2013 in a new development with a new cabinet and all wiring was there when I moved in (first tenant in 2013) so had nothing changed so its not that.

Thanks again, I do appreciate the help 🙂

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution
You need to run the same speedtest when you're seeing the slow speeds.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
jamiemat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Ok so just ran the test again around 30 mins ago it gave me a speed of 17.12 Mbps down /15.79 Mbps up and when moved to the next stage the TAP: 3 test after logging in with the speedtest@speedtest_domain login I was astonished to see this;

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
0 Mbps

0 Mbps	77.35 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speed achieved during the test was - 0 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-77.35 Mbps .
 Additional Information: IP Profile for your line is - 77.35 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
3.42 Mbps

0 Mbps	20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 3.42Mbps
 Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Your service was found to be performing poorly.

Please raise a fault with your service provider, stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicates poor service throughput performance after the third test.

Obviously thats worse than even I thought, and I ran it again to a similar result. I hope to run it again later but might not get a chance to do so tonight.

I have attached a screenshot of the result also

Thanks again,

JamieBTWspeedresult.png

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

I'll get a mod to look at it for you to confirm congestion and see if it will be sorted quickly.

Don't run any more tests as the last one is recorded on the BT Wholesale server.

0 Ratings
jamiemat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
Thank you! That's very much appreciated. 🙂

Will the mod also be able to look into the Infinity 2 speeds when I'm paying for Infinity 1?

Thanks again,
Jamie
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution
Yes they will
0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

@jamiemat wrote:
Thank you! That's very much appreciated. 🙂

Will the mod also be able to look into the Infinity 2 speeds when I'm paying for Infinity 1?

Thanks again,
Jamie

As @john46 says, yes they will but I wouldn't worry about it. You're possibly the first on here complaining about getting more than you pay for!Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley LOL

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @jamiemat,

We'll certainly be able to look into all of this for you. 

I checked your exchange to see if it was listed under BT Wholesale's congestion report. The exchange isn't on it at all so we'll need to test your line and find out what's happening. You can reach us by clicking on my user name and then on contact the mods. It'll take us a few working days to get back to you.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings