cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Retrovertigo
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 63

People's experience with Infinity?

Hi there - just registered to see if I can get an idea of how Infinity is performing. I live maybe 10 metres away from one of the new street cabs so figured I would get good speeds. I'm currently with Virgin Media on the 50meg service, but it is appalling. Here in Manchester they have massively oversubscribed the service and for the last 8 months!!! I have suffered regular disconnections (several times a day) poor speeds, bad lag etc etc. There is no end in sight for the problems. Virgin have even called in Motorola who can't fix the issue. Now, my biggest problem is, Manchester has a large student population and I'm worried if I tie myself to a new contract, that BT will also get carried away signing people up and I'll find myself in the same situation of having a flakey service and no real work done to resolve it. I've only ever used cable for broadband so have no experience of landline connections and how they compare. I know people only usually sign up to forums when they want to complain πŸ™‚ - and I know Infinity is still a new service - but if anyone out there (particularly in Manchester) has good things to say, I'd love to hear them.
0 Ratings
62 REPLIES 62
smith33
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 63

Re: People's experience with Infinity?

Hi

Got infinity about a month ago (failsworth exchange, manchester). Our house is not particularly close to the cabinet (about 300-350m i think), but we reguarly get speeds of about 37mbps down and 6-8 up, we were predicted 17 down 5 up, so a nice surprise.

Had a couple of issues with the initial order, but staff at the infinity department were excellent in resolving this mistake.

Since then the speeds have been steady, although they do vary slightly during the day, but never lower than about 25mbps throughput.

Recently been having issues with the Infinity home hub, with the wireless dropping and also the computers being unable to connect to the internet even though the wireless and LAN were fine. BT have now sent a replacement hub, and this seems to be much better. Both hubs were version 2Bs.

Overall well worth the money, maybe a couple of teething issues, but well resolved, and promptly as well, by BTs staff.

0 Ratings
ajwh
Contributor
Message 3 of 63

I agree. I'm on the Muswell Hill exchange which was a beta test site. My experiences are the same.

There at least 10 other users in range  judging  by the WiFo SSIDs, but contention doesn't seem to be an issue.

Andrew

0 Ratings
magicbaz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 63

I live close to a Cab and get 37 downloads and 8 up.. BUT the cab is over heating and I lose service on a hot day, BT keep telling me they are fixing it but it's been happering for 6 weeks now. I have got so fed up with the BAD service that I have contacted BBC Watchdog, they have called me back a few times so they are very intrested. 

Smith33, I use the Failsworth exchange and according to BT that were some of my problems are, Have you had any outages over the last 6 week? 

0 Ratings
dav115
Beginner
Message 5 of 63

magicbaz, Failsworth exchange here too and getting frequent loss of service too (sometimes no connection, others like now I have connection but about 75% packet loss so effectively useless (this post was made on my phone)). Despite being previously told that the fault was the exchange overheating, and yesterday vandalism(!), the latest from BT is that they are suffering from a major unknown problem at the Failsworth exchange that they aren't experiencing anywhere else in the country. They are trying to diagnose it as we speak but if it isn't fixed soon I may be forced to take my custom elsewhere, i.e. to Virgin. That would be a great shame though, as this service (when it is working) is brilliantly quick.

0 Ratings
blooty
Contributor
Message 6 of 63

The way infinity is designed should mean you will always get your assured rate of I think 12mb, even if everyone on your cab is hammering it.

@dav115 it sounds like its an exchange problem that won't only be affecting infinity, , might be worth sticking with it as the op said virgin don't seem to compare when infinity is fully working.
If i've given you a helpful answer please rate me by clicking the rating star to the left πŸ˜„
BT Total Broadband Option 4 - London - Pimlico Exchange
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 63

Hi Guys

Those of you on the Failsworth exchange are you noticing any improvement can see this was showing as a service outage on the link below but should be resolved.

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status_consumer/ss_cat/2468,2470

Let me know if the problems are still persisting.

Cheers

Stuart

0 Ratings
magicbaz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 63

StuartH.

thanks for that, however it was no help at all. BTW there is NO improvement at all. in fact its getting worse. 

I had a call from BT yesterday apologising and they said "after today (Tuesday) it will be fixed and I should experience no problems" I was wise enough to tape it. The speed is good when it works but I have now contacted a few providers to see what they can offer as BT isnt providing the service they promised and "guaranteed" 

I just don't know why BT rolled out a service it just cant provide, Chatted with the local press today and they are coming over to chat with me on Friday. 

Come on BT get your act together!! 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 63

Hi Magicbaz Thanks for the further information, this certainly sounds to be quite a situation as its an exchange fault so obviously affecting a number of customers. We can have this looked into for you can you email me at forum.moderation.team@bt.com with your account details and link to this thread. Cheers Stuart
0 Ratings
dav115
Beginner
Message 10 of 63

At the time of writing this post the service is up and excellent, and has been for a few hours now, so here's hoping it stays that way πŸ™‚ .

0 Ratings