Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Performance Tuning

Hi

Now that I have been taken to Infinity, I have started to think about performance.

The Home office is going to get a make over in the new year.

Got me thinking about cable routing, power and Hub positioning.

Hub

As supplied comes with a cheap cat 5 cable to connect to the Modem.

Is it worth buying a top quality cat 6 cable and replace the cat 5?

Is it worth making this cable as short as possible?

Is it worth fixing modem to the wall next to master socket and running patch cable to Hub up on the desk. (Seperate hub from Modem)

Power

I have the modem and Hub on a power surge protected distribution board. Is it worth running the modem cable (cat5/6) through this board to the Hub? Or just leave the power protected.

Hub Location

Got it well away from power supplies and a radiator. But it's near a monitor.

Does height off the floor make any difference. I need the wireless to work well downstairs not in the room it's in.

I also discovered when you power up you should power modem first and wait for DSl light to go green then power up Hub.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Performance Tuning

the most important is the modem and its connection to the phone line
you want it away from any electromagnetic interference and the rj11 lead to the phone socket should be twisted pair
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 3 of 4

As Bullitt says, the modem/master socket connection is the most critical.

Hub

As supplied comes with a cheap cat 5 cable to connect to the Modem.

Is it worth buying a top quality cat 6 cable and replace the cat 5?

Doesn't make too much difference.  The modem LAN port is only 100Mbps ethernet.  You are unlikely to see any loss even with 30meters of cable, and as long as the cable isn't terrible, cat5 cable should be fine.

Power

I have the modem and Hub on a power surge protected distribution board. Is it worth running the modem cable (cat5/6) through this board to the Hub? Or just leave the power protected.

I don't know.

Hub Location

Got it well away from power supplies and a radiator. But it's near a monitor.

Does height off the floor make any difference. I need the wireless to work well downstairs not in the room it's in.

I don't think it will matter too much being near a monitor.   Generally higher up is better for good wireless reach.

Install inSSIDer (free) on a laptop and experiment with different positions of the HomeHub to see your best compromise between convenient position of HomeHub and good wireless coverage.

I also discovered when you power up you should power modem first and wait for DSl light to go green then power up Hub.

I don't think it matters too much.  On the very rare occasions I have rebooted my modem I have left the HomeHub on.  And when they both went out after a power trip, they came up together with no issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 4

Even CAT5 cable is good for up to 100mts with no loss in data transfer.

0 Ratings