Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iain_L
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Permanently stop access to old e-mail

Go to solution

I left BT Broadband about a year ago, and assumed my e-mail account would simply be switched off or deleted eventually.

Unfortunately as I had to forgotten to remove auto-forwarding to my new address, this never happened. I should add that this was without opening a Premium account.

one of my friends contacted me last month to say that he had received a spam e-mail with a dodgy link from me, so I contacted Customer Support who explained that they couldn't delete the account. They struggled to understand why I would be so annoyed about an e-mail address bearing my name sending dodgy links over the www. In the end I managed to get one to confirm that he had put a block on the account to stop it sending or receiving, which seemed a reasonable compromise.

Roll on to this morning, and I receive an e-mail, obviously forwarded from my old btinternet address, but addressed to one of the sub-account e-mails (also now unused, with nothing paid on it). This was another dodgy link sent to one of my wife's contacts.

All I want to do is stop this happening by deleting the account in toto. Of course, situation is complicated by the fact we no longer have a BT account, o fall over at the first call centre question of "Can I have your account number".

Can someone please help here, as I'm trying to be responsible about stopping dodgy e-mails flying around in my name.

Iain

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
PaddyB
Message 2 of 5

Re: Permanently stop access to old e-mail

Go to solution

Hi Iain_L,

We might be able to block access to that email address. If you send me in your details, I'll be able to take a look at this for you. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Iain_L
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks for the reply Paddy. Information sent as requested.

Fingers crossed

Iain
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Once a spammer has your e-mail address, and your contacts, they can pretend to be you, even if your e-mail account is closed. There is nothing you can do about it, apart from tell your contacts to ignore any e-mails from you, coming from that address.

DanielS
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @Iain_L,

I was in the middle of doing this for a few accounts so I've added yours to the list. Access is barred, passwords changed and accounts sent to Yahoo to be deleted in one of our batches over the next few months.

If anyone gets an email pretending to be any of these emails, it will be a spoof. I'd recommend your friends marked any of the emails they had before as spam since the email will no longer be in use anyway.

I hope this has helped you.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings