cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pde1001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Persistent BT issues - close to tears!

Hi All - I sincerely hope you can help me and my family out.  Over the past 2-3 years we have had on-off problems with our BT Broadband.  It started when when we were with PlusNet and I switched to BT hoping it would give me an advantage on sorting out what appeared to us to be a fundamental problem with our connection.  During numerous engineer visits, our equipment was given a clean bill of health and finally, after months, we have had a fairly reliable service for at least half of 2013.  Typical speeds around 2.5 Mb/sec which is about as good as it gets here.

More recently, late summer, we started to experience a very noisy line (again) and after huge amount of comms effort with BT, we were advised to contact BT and complain about a poor phone line.  They warned us of a £130 charge but we had done all the right tests, had a simple set-up and our line into the test socket.  The engineer, who was very dismissive, replaced our master socket. With no engineer report and no indication of a charge post-visit, we were devastated at Christmas to find a charge on our account.  The report that BT got from OpenReach was ambiguous so it's going to take 30 days to resolve - no benefit of doubt going to the customer!  Anyway, I'm veering off-topic but I want to give you a sense of our despair.

The noisy line re-appeared just before Christmas.  And that brings me to today - we are not currently experiencing the noise on the line (it seems to disappear after we make a phonecall but that could be coincidence) but our internet speed is at ~0.1 Mb/sec and hasn't exceeded 0.49 Mb/sec for nearly 2 weeks.  I have tried to be patient waiting for the line management to push up our speed so have refrained from resetting the homehub.  However, the power went off today (knowingly) so I could not avoid a reboot.

I have registered on the forum hoping somebody can help.  Becasue of the current situation with what we believe is a mistaken engineer charge, we are reluctant to call out again, despite the noise on the line re-appearing for a few days before Christmas.

I have a record of my BT speedtest and ASDL info and will forward on instruction by the forum.  All tests have been conducted using an ethernet cable with WiFi on my laptop switched off.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any advice offered.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Persistent BT issues - close to tears!

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

if you have line noise that must be resolved before your broadband will improve as any noise will kill broadband
0 Ratings
pde1001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the replies.  All on test socket with latest BT OpenRach socket as installed by BT engineer a couple of months back. I have a BT HomeHub 3. The phone line is no longer noisy.  Here is the ASDL info:

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state:

Connected

Connection time:

0 days, 01:38:56

Downstream:

574.3 Kbps

Upstream:

961.8 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI:

0/38

Type:

PPPoA

Modulation:

G.992.3 Annex A

Latency type:

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up):

7.2 dB / 6.1 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up):

52.8 dB / 30.4 dB

Output power (Down/Up):

16.9 dBm / 12.6 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up):

872 / 160

CRC Events (Down/Up):

0 / 47

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

HEC Events (Down/Up):

0 / 28

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

0 / 8

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

even if the noise is intermittent it needs reporting
0 Ratings
pde1001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

OK, thanks.  I will report it with yet further calls to BT.

In the meantime - is there any useful info in the ADSL record that can help me get back on track with a decent internet speed >2 Mb/sec?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

No once the line noise is resolved then your speed will increase over a few days
0 Ratings