Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DorsetDonal
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Persistent Extremely Low Speed

Go to solution

I'm at a loss to understand the problem I have with my broadband connection.

I've been at my current address for over 5 years, line length approx 3.8km from Warmwell exchange.

During that time I've had a consistent speed of 2.7Mbps.

That was until about 3 months ago, when the speed fell off a cliff.

The speed dropped suddenly to 0.1Mbps, and has stayed there. Upstream speed is 0.36Mbps.

I was with Pipex at the time this happened (had been with them for nearly a decade); and initially I tried three different routers, new filters, even changed my DECT phone just in case.

I went through a lengthy and frustrating fault-reporting process with Pipex which took weeks. This culminated in a visit by a BT engineer about three weeks ago.

He reported no problem on the line or local equipment, saying that - as expected - downstream speed was about 3Mbps. The only explanation he could think of for the 0.1Mbps speed I was getting was some kind of extreme throttling by Pipex at their end. They denied this, and I can't think of why this would happen. I'm not a particularly heavy user, don't use P2P etc.

The engineer fitted a new Openreach faceplate and left. There are no extensions or other wiring. The master socket is the only thing I have.

I decided to switch to BT Broadband. This gave me some small cost savings over Pipex, and I was unhappy with the TalkTalk buyout anyway, my sister having had horrendous problems with TalkTalk when her husband died. This also gave me the chance to try out a fourth router - the new Homehub 3.0 - just to be on the safe side.

Now it's only been a couple of days since the switchover - but my speed has been exactly what it was before - 0.1Mbps. There has been no variation at all - either over ethernet or wifi.

I know there's a 10 day training period - but shouldn't I see at least some difference in the speed I was getting after the first 24 hours - particularly when the engineer said that the problem could only be with Pipex?

Home Hub Stats 19082011.jpg

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: Persistent Extremely Low Speed

Go to solution

Hello :),
Also we need a speedtest Use this link http://bit.ly/o8qqQ9 as it will also help you diagnose and give you a list of solutions afterwards to help you diagnose your problems if it thinks there is a problem. Could you please also copy and paste the results from the White/Black/Green pop out page including your IP profile, DSL Connection Rate and speed achieved during test.

Also during the 10 day period, BT Can't do anything.

DorsetDonal
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks Edd

I understand about the 10 days, but am really confused about why the BT connection would show no variation at all in the first couple of days.

Here's the speedtest results. I struggle to interpret them.

Test Result.jpg

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

your slow download is due to your profile currently at 135.  as you are in training period with a 3mb connection you need to stay connected 24/7 with no manual resets although the hub will reset maybe often as it tries to find the best speed for your connection

BT will not do anything at present until your training 10 days is complete but you connection is looking ok with noise margin slightly high.  training should fx this and should end up neare 6 which is the norm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DorsetDonal
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks both

I'll sit it out for the next ten days and see what happens.

0 Ratings
DorsetDonal
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

I've had the BT connection for over a week now.

The fastest IP profile during that time has been 250kbps, which is pretty much the best I've had for the last 3 months or so with Pipex.

Since I first posted though the connection as reported by the BT speedtest has dropped to a tenth of the 3Mbps which it originally was.

To restate:

- I've been at this address for 5 years. Until earlier this summer I got consistent speeds of 2.7Mbps

- The speed suddenly dropped a few months ago, and I started a lengthy troubleshooting process with Pipex

- That culminated in a visit from a BT engineer, who found a 3Mbps connection, and no fault on the line (from internal testing). He suggested that it might be a fault on Pipex's side, or severe throttling of some kind by Pipex

- Over the last few weeks I have tried three different routers, I replaced my DECT handset, and there is no extension wiring, just the master socket

- The BT engineer installed a new Openreach faceplate, so no dangly filters

- Since switching to BT last Wednesday I am using a HomeHub 3. All the wiring, equipment and faceplate in the house are therefore new, BT supplied/installed and/or seen by the BT engineer within the last three weeks

- I live in a row of eight houses, my next door neighbours either side have low speeds, the other that has broadband (4 doors up) still has a speed of 2.7Mbps

- I'm beginning to feel that there is a problem with line noise. Despite having new DECT handsets the line can be intermittently very noisy during voice calls. The broadband however - as I've said - will not go above about 0.2Mbps for weeks

Here are the latest stats - using a direct ethernet connection to the router.

Please help!

Line Status 25082011.jpg

Test Result 25082011.jpg

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

Thats the reason why your Noise Margin is so high because of that intermitent line noise, Dynamic Line Management is trying to find a stable connection, and is ever so increasing your noise margin until it finds a stable speed.  And it looks as if its found the stable noise margin since you've been connected for 5 days. 

What I suggest you do is run a line test: http://bit.ly/tgwip and report a line fault online to save you phoning the Indian help desk, either way you must report the intermitent line fault online. if you wanna phone, call 151 and report the fault.

boe323
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

i thought the bt openreach standard master socket only had the bell wire filter, and that you still need microfilters?

0 Ratings
boe323
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

Sorry never mind, i miss read, i do apolagise.

0 Ratings
DorsetDonal
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks Edd

I've just run the line check - which shows no fault.

I'm at my wit's end with end with this now - it has been going on for weeks and is hugely affecting what we can do online, with many webpages not even loading, let alone even low quality video.

The idea - as suggested on the line check results - that I watch a video on a 200kbps connection to identify faults - would be laughable if it wasn't so useless.

I'm on Option 3 - unlimited, and the idea of having to pay even more for another visit doesn't fill me with joy.

Bearing in mind an engineer already visited less than a month ago and found no faults - what could I expect from another visit?

In addition to the other factors I have mentioned above there has been some work on the line to our road (a new house was built) and the pole that feeds the line to our house and my neighbours either side has been replaced in the last year. The engineer said that these were unlikely to be relevant.

What else could be causing such high noise on my line?

Also - the engineer said when he visited that he was getting a 3Mbps connection - which was still showing on the first line status I posted on this thread. That is now just 300kbps. What can have happened to cause that 90% drop?

Line Check Result 25082011.jpg

0 Ratings