cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Persistent reoccurring fault- 3 years of dismay

We have had a persistent fault that bt or open reach just cannot fix. This has been going on for nearly three years.

We have noise on our line crackling spits and pops. This affects the quality of calls. The line is so noisy, that sometimes you cannot hear what the person on the other end is saying. This obviously affects the broadband also.
We used to have a old netgear router. Never been supplied with a home hub. And when the noise was bad it would drop out. To get it to connect we would have to make a call or pick the phone off the hook and this usage would make it connect albeit very slow. 120 something kbs. So I actually bought my own hub but this made no difference at all.

We booked an engineer visit for the noise not broadband. Engineer came changed faceplate and re made the connection on the outside of the house test line and was clear but within 2 hours of his visit the noise was back. I had no faith in this engineer at all. He seemed uninterested in what I had to say. And actually stood in my front room and farted loudly twice, right in front of me.

As an electrical engineer myself I now bit about what is going on with the fault we have a high resistive joint somewhere external along the line. But openreach are unable to except or recognise this. The fault disappears when the phone line is used after a while.

Call an booked engineer revisit. Different guy this time. By far a better chap all round. As soon as he arrived and he picked the phone up he said "yeah noise on line" but after ten mins of testing the fault just disappeared. I explained the situation and the engineer conseeded that the fault would return (which it has). He said he could "send voltage down the line and sometimes this would weld a bad joint". His words I was sceptical about this but crack on what did I have to lose. At the end of his visit we did have a line with no noise and the broadband synced at 3.2 mbs. This proves my line incapable. Unfortunately this has only lasted about a week and the fault has progressively gone back. We now have noise again. And woefull broadband that is struggling to connect.

How do I go about getting this resolved. The openreach engineers seem unwilling to get up the poles and check the junctions on my lines.
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Persistent reoccurring fault- 3 years of dismay

all you can do is persist in reporting a noisy line to faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Persistent reoccurring fault- 3 years of dismay

@Johnbarker Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum, I'm really sorry that your line fault has not been repaired yet and I would like to apologise for the unacceptable behaviour of the first engineer.  

Intermittent noise faults can be difficult to resolve first time around as its often a process of elimination to get to the route of the issue and we'll need to raise another fault report with Openreach to investigate this further.  If you need any assistance with this please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll be happy help.

You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings