cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 9

Personal Finance Software

I have read the guidelines and this seems the right place to post and does not appear to infringe Forum rules.

For many years I have used Microsoft Money to keep track of my finances (purely personal and quite simple).  With the advent of Windows 10, I know it will not work on there.  Has anyone got any suggestions as to the best up to date software that will run on Windows 10 and preferably allow Money files to be uploaded please?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Personal Finance Software

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

Hello Keith,

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to reply.  From what I have understood from the link you provided it gives information about a much later version of Microsoft Money, mine is the 2001 Standard Edition.  Even if I did find a work around I would like something newer anyway.

I feel sure some on this forum must be using current offerings and would have suggestions, be they good or bad.  I'm finding it difficult to get unbiased opinions so far.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

I just use Apache Openoffice spreadsheets. OpenOffice is a free program, and I simply copy and paste the online transactions directly into the spreadsheet.

You can create dynamic links between spreadsheets so that a sheet is updated from another sheet.

It works well with Barclays and Nationwide.

It depends on how experienced you are, working with spreadsheets.

Have to tried a Google search for suggestions?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

I just use Apache Openoffice spreadsheets. OpenOffice is a free program, and I simply copy and paste the online transactions directly into the spreadsheet.

You can create dynamic links between spreadsheets so that a sheet is updated from another sheet.

It works well with Barclays and Nationwide. 

It depends on how experienced you are, working with spreadsheets. I'm reasonably experienced, but certainly no expert, and do use Excel as a double check on some accounts and the database function for limited reporting.  Money was/is so simple.

Have to tried a Google search for suggestions? Yes and have some ideas but was hoping to get replies from people with first hand experience.  Some of the reviews I have read are extremely contradictory.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 9

@Keith, @pompey1898.

I'm preparing for this eventuality. I use Money 2003 on windows 7.

One commonly used feature for me is the Reports Gallery > Monthly income and expenses.

If you use this page you can right click, or perhaps double right click, and you have an option to export to excel.

The exported file format is .csv, which Excel will open, and can save as .xls.

At least it's a step forward.

Excel 2007 onwards (I have Excel 2016) is now much simpler to use than the older 97 version, and most of the hard work, e.g. cross referencing between sheets is done for you. You should be able to create a useful spread sheet format, and password lock it!

As for daily transactions, I'm not sure, but there are enough options in the reports gallery to be able to export something.

After that it's up to your Bank's software, as to whether it exports directly to Excel? They seem to want to export to Quicken, which is not widely in use.

It's a simple task to print out your Bank's transactions and write them into Excel.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

@Ribblelancs@Keith_Beddoe

I use MS Money far too extensively for budgeting, reporting, etc. to handle this in Excel.

Here is TopTen's list:- http://personal-finance-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

However Quicken gets very poor reviews on Amazon.

I am currently considering Banktree, Moneydance & jiosoft.

I'm still hoping someone has first hand experience, particularly now of the three I mention.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 9

@pompey1898 wrote:

@Ribblelancs@Keith_Beddoe

I use MS Money far too extensively for budgeting, reporting, etc. to handle this in Excel.

Here is TopTen's list:- http://personal-finance-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

However Quicken gets very poor reviews on Amazon.

I am currently considering Banktree, Moneydance & jiosoft.

I'm still hoping someone has first hand experience, particularly now of the three I mention.

O.K.

I was doing more seasonal things this afternoon - printing Xmas address labels - at risk of becoming impossible to use in Windows 10.

Just looked on the forums and saw your reply.

Excel is good enough if you are just managing home accounts, and looking for direct debits etc.

Perhaps not if you have more exacting requirements, e.g. producing an annual account for a local charity or social group etc, which has to be audited annually. 

However, I did check, and my Bank's account will export daily transactions into Excel, in csv, format. The problem there is that they only store for a limited time period.

Also Money (which is at risk of becoming extinct with Windows 10)  will export most, if not all past transactions, summaries etc, to Excel, again in csv format.

Hope someone comes back on your suggested alternatives.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 9

@pompey1898 wrote:

I have read the guidelines and this seems the right place to post and does not appear to infringe Forum rules.

For many years I have used Microsoft Money to keep track of my finances (purely personal and quite simple).  With the advent of Windows 10, I know it will not work on there.  Has anyone got any suggestions as to the best up to date software that will run on Windows 10 and preferably allow Money files to be uploaded please?

Hi there pompey1898, 

I don't use Microsoft Money, but reading this post I can appreciate FULLY why you do.  From reading through various official Microsoft Forums it appears that IF you presently run Windows 7 (I am not sure what Windows version you run) you can "upgrade" to Money 2005 - which can then be modified (with a registery edit - warning BACK up everything before you do that) to work in Windows 10.

It would seem that MS didn't really make any money from Money (how ironic) so they stopped supporting it....

More info Here

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings