cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
1,036 Views
Message 11 of 21

Re: Personal webhosting/pages

 


@wrighar wrote:

Minefield 3.7a2.... (sort of firefox to be...)

 

I also tried Ipswitch's wsftp

 

also tried cmd prompt

 

User (213.123.20.91:(none)): wrighar
331 Password required for wrighar.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.

 

I'm using the same password I use to get my email.

 


 

 

Just in case your webspace isn't your primary email address, make sure you're using the correct password.

 

Also something to be aware of, ftp access actually only requires the 1st 8 character of the password - though this shouldn't affect stuff.

 

One other thing that affects ftp access is your IP address. There is a duff range 86.141.x.x as I mention via my shortcuts. Go to http://www.ip-adress.com/ and see what IP address is shown, only the first 2 octets are needed to see if they match the duff range. If this is the case, then you will normally need to power cycle the router and get a new IP address (after disconnectiion/re-connection).

 

I still feel that the password is not being recognised, though other things that have been known to interfere with fto access are firewalls and other security systems on your computer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
wrighar
Aspiring Contributor
1,037 Views
Message 12 of 21

Re: Personal webhosting/pages

Hmm

 

I have only a primary address, and followed a link to change it which confirmed I only have a primary.

 

My IP addy is 

86.158.x.x

 

Password fails at 8 chars or full length

 

Firewall is not making any complaints about it

 

I've also tried ie8 and opera10 too now.

 

 

 

 

 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
1,012 Views
Message 13 of 21

Re: Personal webhosting/pages

 


@mikejones wrote:

Thanks for the info Andy


 

 

Hi Mike.

 

Glad you've got it sorted.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
1,011 Views
Message 14 of 21

Re: Personal webhosting/pages

 


@wrighar wrote:

Hmm

 

I have only a primary address, and followed a link to change it which confirmed I only have a primary.

 

My IP addy is 

86.158.x.x

 

Password fails at 8 chars or full length

 

Firewall is not making any complaints about it

 

I've also tried ie8 and opera10 too now.

 

 

 


 

 

Your IP address (at that time) is fine. Note that IE8 won't work anyway, Windows explorer can be used though.

 

Opera 10.10 for me works fine (Vista 64Bit).

 

What OS are you using ?

 

Something is blocking your access, and it seems to me to be a local issue with a security option or similar.

0 Ratings
wrighar
Aspiring Contributor
1,007 Views
Message 15 of 21

Re: Personal webhosting/pages

Still not having any luck

 

Shut down my firewall and still it errors.

 

Using XP Pro 32 bit

 

Opera 10 message:

Error!
The server requested a login authentication method that is not supported.

You tried to access the address ftp://ftp.btinternet.com/, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.

530 Login incorrect.
Make sure your Internet connection is active and check whether other applications that rely on the same connection are working.
Check that the setup of any Internet security software is correct and does not interfere with ordinary Web browsing.
If you are behind a firewall on a Local Area Network and think this may be causing problems, talk to your systems administrator.
Try pressing the F12 key on your keyboard and disabling proxy servers, unless you know that you are required to use a proxy to connect to the Internet. Reload the page.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
1,002 Views
Message 16 of 21

Re: Personal webhosting/pages

 


@wrighar wrote:

Still not having any luck

 

Shut down my firewall and still it errors.

 

Using XP Pro 32 bit

 

Opera 10 message:

Error!
The server requested a login authentication method that is not supported.

You tried to access the address ftp://ftp.btinternet.com/, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.

530 Login incorrect.
Make sure your Internet connection is active and check whether other applications that rely on the same connection are working.
Check that the setup of any Internet security software is correct and does not interfere with ordinary Web browsing.
If you are behind a firewall on a Local Area Network and think this may be causing problems, talk to your systems administrator.
Try pressing the F12 key on your keyboard and disabling proxy servers, unless you know that you are required to use a proxy to connect to the Internet. Reload the page.


 

 

What firewall are you using ?

 

Do you know if the XP one is on? If so - turn that off.

 

In essence :-

 

ftp://ftp.btinternet.com/

 

should show you the list of files on the btiinternet server. You can't do anything of use, as it's a system area. You will see folders such as .snapshot and bin.

Even IE7 or higher will show this list.

 

Opera 10.10 for me gives an initial warning pop-up saying (if using ftp://username@ftp.btinternet.com - replacing username with the actual webpage name of course) :-

 

Security warning:

You are about to go to an address containing a username.

Username: "username"
Server: ftp.btinternet.com

Are you sure you want to go to this address?

 

If I press the Yes button, I get a new pop up asking for Username and Password entries. Entering them gives my website files etc.

 

At this moment in time I can't think what to try next I'm afraid. The usual things seem to have been tried, though sometimes a power cycle for new IP address can work.

 

I'll keep thinking .....

wrighar
Aspiring Contributor
998 Views
Message 17 of 21

Re: Personal webhosting/pages

Zonealarm free edition, ms firewall is off (as always)

 

Just tried a different machine (laptop with Win 7 RC and firefox 3.6)

Same problem.

 

My opera experience was as you describe in process.

 

I can see the system area on the ftp site.

 

Reboot the hhub would seem to be my next option.

 

Thanks

Andrew

0 Ratings
wrighar
Aspiring Contributor
973 Views
Message 18 of 21

Re: Personal webhosting/pages

I'm trying a secondary approach..

 

I've created a Sub-Account with new userid and password.

I've just switched the website to use the sub-account.

http://www.btinternet.com/~wrighar1

now just need to try it, currently showing as FTP site too busy (but the switch site did say it may take up to 24hrs to effect the change, but that was for http://www.wrighar1.btinternet.co.uk).

 

Andrew

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
956 Views
Message 19 of 21

Re: Personal webhosting/pages

 


@wrighar wrote:

I'm trying a secondary approach..

 

I've created a Sub-Account with new userid and password.

I've just switched the website to use the sub-account.

http://www.btinternet.com/~wrighar1

now just need to try it, currently showing as FTP site too busy (but the switch site did say it may take up to 24hrs to effect the change, but that was for http://www.wrighar1.btinternet.co.uk).

 

Andrew


 

 

Hi again Andrew

 

To be honest, you can frankly ignore the btinternet.co.iuk version of the website URL. There are 3 altogether - I'll not go into detail here as that is all via my shortcuts option 10.

 

I personally don't expect that altering to a different access will work in your case, as it's the method of access that is your particular problem it seems.

 

Email me via my shortcuts, and I can give extra help via offline methods.

0 Ratings
wrighar
Aspiring Contributor
941 Views
Message 20 of 21

Re: Personal webhosting/pages

Indeed. I think it's time to give up.

 

I've tried 5 different machines running XP, Vista, Win7 and Win2k3,

 

I've tried Cmd prompt FTP, FTP packages, Opera, Firefox and IE

 

I've tried from 3 different locations / routers / hubs.

 

Everything gives the login 530 error or equivalent.

 

Andrew

0 Ratings