cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
IHAR
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Phone Contract "Automatic Renewal" without my consent?

I have recently had an unpleasant experience with BT after they have automatically renewed my contract without informing me or without my consent.

When signing up for the package in 2008, there was never an "Automatic Renewal" system in place. Over the years BT informed me 1 month prior to the end of the contract and informed me that if I wanted to cancel to inform them. Each time I called them to accept to renew my contract - which happened without any fuss.

This year, I contacted them a month prior to the end of my contract informing them I won't be renewing. I spoke to a lousy assistant who didn't know what they where doing although I was told it would all be in place for me.

A month later after I thought the contract had ended, I had arranged to swap to the Post Office as they are cheaper and more user friendly. I then had a letter through from BT saying I owe them a cancellation fee plus charges for the contract I am with!!!! Much to my surprise as I believed I was not in a contract and didn't receive any letters telling me that it would be renewed as I called to cancel.

Anyhow, I contacted BT again to which I spoke to a very rude person (Martin) who could not care less, and told me that I had to inform them if the contract wanted to be cancelled (to which I had). I then received a call from the manager (Sonia) who again was rude and spoke over me constantly and would not listen to my point. They will not take any responsibility for their wrong doings, and since I have been a customer with them for over 20 years they don't even show a bit of loyalty to their customers.

She was adimment that I have to pay the termination charges. This is disgusting customer service from BT. I then asked if they had proof that they sent any letter out, to which she said "My computer says we did", I could not help but chuckle.

Has any one else experienced this "Automatic Renewal" without being informed about it?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Phone Contract "Automatic Renewal" without my consent?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I am afraid the automatic renewal seems to be the norm with BT as well as a lot of company's nowadays (car insurance, household insurance)

All I can suggest is that you contact BT on 0800 800 150 and explain that you do not want to automatically renew.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
IHAR
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

I have contacted them via email and now they have appologised and have agreed to not charge me 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Good, glad it got resolved, sometimes the "nice" approach to BT will work

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

More info about Phone Contracts.

http://www.which.co.uk/technology/phones/guides/home-phone-contracts--your-questions-answered/

also:

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/03/ofcom-proposes-ban-on-opt-out-rollover-contracts-246528/

Quote:

Ofcom's consultation closes on 12 May 2011.

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)