Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Phone Extension Which Pair?

Hi,

BT Engineer has just set up BT Infinity, but he had to fix some faulty wiring to get it done.

Because of that, one of the phone sockets in the house doesn't work.  I have just moved in, so I'm not sure whether it ever worked or not.

The engineer told me that I needed to know that he "used the organge pair" the current wiring is "orange, orange, white", and that is how it needed to be set up for the extension to work.

I have looked at the wiring inside that extension socket and it is currently wired

1. Blue with short white bands.

2. Not connected

3. Orange with short white bands.

4. White with short blue bands

5. White with short green bands.

6. Green with short white bands.

The cable white with short orange bands is not connected.

Based on what the BT Enginner said, can someone help me with which wires to connect to which pins?

cheers

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Phone Extension Which Pair?

only terminals 2 and 5 should be in use
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

So I guess it would be Orange to terminal 2, White & Orange to terminal 5 and disconnect all other wires.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

As mentioned should only use 2 and 5. best to check what colours have been used at the extension socket.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

I had presumed the engineer said what colours he had connected at the Mater Socket and all that was required was to connect the same colours at the extension socket.  If you unscrew the faceplate of the master Socket you can see what wires are connected to what terminals.  I presume you will find that only terminals 2 and 5 have been used at that end.

I could be wrong; the extension that does not work could be wired as a spur from another extension.  In that case you just need the same wire connected to terminals 2 and 5 at each end. 

0 Ratings