Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

Phone Extensions Disabled after BT Openreach Visit

Hi everyone,

After phoning BT and BT Openreach, I still haven't been able to come to an answer and so have come here.

Around 11 months ago, my broadband was converted from BT ADSL to TalkTalk Fibre-Optic. At the time, I had tenants in my flat and so it was installed with them present.

They let the engineer come in and after some initial confusion with finding a master-socket, the engineer succesfully installed Fibre-Optic broadband and it worked perfectly.

However, I was told by the tenants that when the engineer was present, he had told them, to get the fibre optic broadband working, he had to disable ALL the phone extensions in the flat. The flat is around 8 years old and so relatively newly built. I have 3 other phone extension in the flat which all worked prior to the visit but after they did not.

Now due to moving various things around, I now need to use the router on these extension sockets and as expected, all the extension lines are completely dead.

I have taken the faceplate off the current working master-socket and the blue wire and white-blue wire are connected to the AB terminals as they should be. None of the green, white-green, orange, white-orange cables are connected to the extension socket on this master socket.

The other extensions in the house, white-blue was connected to 5, orange to 1 and white-blue to 2.

I have tried connecting the unused cables on the master socket cables to the relevant slots on the socket but the extensions are still dead.

I have access to the downstairs communal entry to the phone for the rest of the other flats, there are numerous cables and I would never think about touching them as I understand they are not my property.

So basically I need to find out:

1) Why did the engineer disable all the extension sockets in the flat?

2) What can I do to get the other extensions back up and running?

3) How were the extension sockets connected to the original master socket?

Any help would be much appreciated!

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Phone Extensions Disabled after BT Openreach Visit

did engineer instal an SSFP like this  fibre SSFP.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 20

If the Openreach engineer was there to install TalkTalk broadband you should report a fault to them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 20

Yep, that's the one.

It is odd though, as when I downgraded to ADSL from fibre again, they removed that one and installed the other version which needs an external micro filter. I have since upgraded to fibre again and they just left the old ADSL faceplate and didn't bother visiting.

ive actually now installed the one pictures above again and is working well.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

@hectorthedog wrote:

Hi everyone,

After phoning BT and BT Openreach, I still haven't been able to come to an answer and so have come here.

Around 11 months ago, my broadband was converted from BT ADSL to TalkTalk Fibre-Optic. At the time, I had tenants in my flat and so it was installed with them present.

They let the engineer come in and after some initial confusion with finding a master-socket, the engineer succesfully installed Fibre-Optic broadband and it worked perfectly.

However, I was told by the tenants that when the engineer was present, he had told them, to get the fibre optic broadband working, he had to disable ALL the phone extensions in the flat. The flat is around 8 years old and so relatively newly built. I have 3 other phone extension in the flat which all worked prior to the visit but after they did not.

Now due to moving various things around, I now need to use the router on these extension sockets and as expected, all the extension lines are completely dead.

I have taken the faceplate off the current working master-socket and the blue wire and white-blue wire are connected to the AB terminals as they should be. None of the green, white-green, orange, white-orange cables are connected to the extension socket on this master socket.

The other extensions in the house, white-blue was connected to 5, orange to 1 and white-blue to 2.

I have tried connecting the unused cables on the master socket cables to the relevant slots on the socket but the extensions are still dead.

I have access to the downstairs communal entry to the phone for the rest of the other flats, there are numerous cables and I would never think about touching them as I understand they are not my property.

So basically I need to find out:

1) Why did the engineer disable all the extension sockets in the flat?

2) What can I do to get the other extensions back up and running?

3) How were the extension sockets connected to the original master socket?

Any help would be much appreciated!

First of all you keep referring to cables when I suspect you mean wires which is confusing. How many CABLES are there entering the master socket. Presumably just one, with just the blue pair connected. I suspect the extensions were star wired from somewhere else rather than the master socket and that is why they were disconnected.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 20

Sorry, yes I have got confused with wires and cables.

There is currently one cable (containing the wires mentioned) entering the master socket, but only the blue and blue-White wires are connected. The other green, green-White, orange and orange white are loose and disconnected.

I suspect you are right about it perhaps being star-wired as they couldn't find the master-socket. Is there anything I can do to reverse the changes?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

@hectorthedog wrote:

Yep, that's the one.

It is odd though, as when I downgraded to ADSL from fibre again, they removed that one and installed the other version which needs an external micro filter. I have since upgraded to fibre again and they just left the old ADSL faceplate and didn't bother visiting.

ive actually now installed the one pictures above again and is working well.

if you have installed the SSFP then the extension sockets if conencted to the back of the front plate like normal then you cannot use them for broadband

you would need to connect to the data extension terminals  SSFP.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

you need to contact Talktalk and get them to get an engineer organised this is not a BT retail problem this web site is for BT phone and broadband customers Talktalk have there own forum for their customers
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 20

I am now a BT infinity customer, so thought this place may be the best place to come?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

There are 2 ways to proceed.

1. Run a new cable from the master socket to the extension socket where you need the router.

2. If you can identify where all the cables go and they are all run to a common point, connect the orange pair in the master socket to the data extension terminals and then at the common point join the orange pair from the master to the blue pair going to the extension.

0 Ratings