cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

Phone Line & Broadband Fault - 8 weeks and counting!

Story so far:-

20th June - Reported intermittent broadband and noisy telephone line fault with BT CS Call Centre in India, line tested remotley by them and was told no fault found, I insited there was a problem and they say it must be within my premises or my equipment and if they arranged engineer callout and it was found that to be the case then it was chargeable at £129.99. I decided to take the risk as I was 99% sure it was a line fault (I used to work for Verizon so have 10 years telecoms experience).  It should be noted that this line is one of two in my property but is used for business purposes as I work from home mostly.

27th June - 1st Openreach Engineer visit ..........eventually,  even though they tried to cancel due to having overun on previous callout, only managed to get them to come on the 27th by escalating with the Edinburgh Openreach Engineering Supervisor who phoned me to cancel and re-arrange the visit for the next day initially. They were due to come between 8am-1pm and eventually turned up at 4:30pm. I was a bit miffed when the Engineer told me he had only been booked to check the telephony fault and not the broadband fault and as such could only test the line and nothing else!!?? He told me this is common place for BT Retail to do this as its cheaper for them to book a line test telephony engineering vist with a 1 hour duration insead of a broadband visit with a 2 hour duration! The engineer then conducted a lengthy) external line test all the way back to the exchange with the result being a diagnosis of a major line underground fault affecting up to 200 lines including my second voice line. OK great I thought at least we know where the fault lises and the road can be dug up and repairs carried out although I obviously realised this was not going to happen within the next 3 working days probably more like 10-14 days and as I still had intermittent broadband and could still and receive calss and pick up 1571 voicemails I could still carry on with my business activities albeit frustrating at times when the broadband dropped out when you most needed it! I must say the Openreach was very helpful and informative

6th July - Chased up fault told I would reeive text message with update within 24hours which was never received 😕 

7th-31st July - numerous calls placed to BT CS in India to chase progress of fault but kept getting fobbed off with no new information apart from "Openreach are working on it" but as I have not seen the road between my house and the exchange being dug up I knew the civils hadn't been started yet!?

8th Aug - Requested fault be escalated and a formal complaint be raised. Complaints Team in India now handling the fault resolution supposedly? Yes I get regular call backs telling me nothing apart from the fact an A55 had now been raised, whatever that was? (I now know it is a "Report submitted for permission to do work i.e a dig/traffic lights"), but don't understand why it has taken over 5 weeks for this to happen and Openreach are now awaiting permission from Cheshire East Council to set up traffic lights and partially close the road to carry out the dig and repairs!!??

10th Aug - Further escalation sought with BT CS Complaints Team in India to give me some definitive dates for the start and finish dates of the repair works and a new fault reference given.  Told I would receive a callback next morning between 9-11am.

11th Aug - callback received but no news just more BT spin! Smiley Frustrated

12th Aug - phoned BT CS India again for update, nothing forthcoming told to wait until Monday for a full update.

15th Aug - phone line now suddenly has no dialtone and nor can I receive calls even though the phone rings so can therefore unable to take customer calls, nor can I retrieve their voice mails via 1571. 1471 is also non functional obviously! Very frustrating as this is now majorly starting to affect my business! Call to Arashi in BT CS Complaints Team in India to report the new related fault. An offer of a 2nd engineering visit was forthcoming on the same proviso that if it was found to be my equipment or internal wiring causing the fault then the £129.99 callout fee would be chargeable. Took up the offer for an engineer and was surprised a slot was available within only 48 hours this time, between 8am-1pm again today on the 17th. Was told I would get a call back on Thurs 18th from Arashi with a full update on the Openreach Engineers findings etc

17th Aug - Got up nice and early and moved all obstacles away from the entry point telephone sockets in my study to allow the Openreach Engineer plenty of access and then proceeded to wait........and wait..........and wait but alas come 13:15 no engineer had arrived!!?? 😞 Call made to BT CS India to chase engineer only to be told that the appointment had been made for between 1-5pm, which was not true as I had been very specific that I wanted a morning appointment to get it out of the way and get the problem sorted asap as well as if the engineer had been held up on a previous job there was still time left in the day to get to me.  BT man in India not having it as "Computer says 1-5pm" and "they will definitley be there before 5pm" so I wait some more.......but come 17:30 still no ones turned up so I am now really spitting feathers as you can imagine! Call back to India.............in a queue for 25 mins to get call ansered firstly then 10 minutes on the phone to new person and having to explain all of the above yet again for the umpteenth time, get put on hold for 10 minutes and then............................yes you guessed it I got cut off!!! Aaaaaaaaaarghhh! No-one had the courtesy to try and call me back obviously so I called back again and sat in another 20 minute queue awaiting my call to be answered.  Spoke to yet another BT CS representaive (Vikram) who pronised me he would "fix everything don't worry!", I was worried as I had heard this many times before! He kept me on hold for a good 10 minutes and then came back to say he couldn't speak to the department he needed as they had "gone home!"  Eventually he told me he had seen on the notes that there was a callback to me scheduled between 4-6pm on Thursday the 18th and someone called Arashi would explain all then!!?? Remember she was the one who was going to get the engineering report from todays visit and give me feedback (see 15th Aug above)

So here we are 8 weeks to the day later and I am none the wiser as to when or if an Openreach engineer is coming to my property, when and if the remedial works are going to start on the major fault between my property and my local exchange or when they might actually sort out the fault and restore both my still intermittent and slow broadband service and non existant voice telephony service.

The whole process is an utter shambles with no-one taking ownership of the situation even though I have escalated it to a higher level and have the so called "Complaints Team" working on it for me to no avail!? I have run out of ideas so can anyone on here suggest anything? I noticed on other threads that at least one of the mods on here is a UK based BT employee who has hepled others in similar situations in the past, can I pass this on to them perhaps to try and resolve and escalate further!? 

As you can see I have documented this farce and I will forward it to OFCOM and the Ombudsman and other pressure groups as I think it is totally unsatisfactory how I have been treated as a customer from start to date!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Phone Line & Broadband Fault - 8 weeks and counting!

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Hi @pbrandt

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for your post!

I'm sorry that your services have developed a fault.  From reading your post it looks like it's not a straightforward repair however I appreciate the communication side of things could be much better.

You can send us over your details and we'll give you a hand from here.  I can't promise that we will be able to speed up the repair but we will make sure that you're fully updated throughout the process until your services are back working as they should again.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

Hi Robbie,

18th August Update - BT CS in India called me this morning to say "nothing new" and that a further update will be given on Monday 22nd August! Could not tell me a start or finish date of remedial works and said it was Openreach not telling them which I found hard to believe?? Also tried to pass on the blame to the local council (who I shall be contacting today to get their side of the story by the way!) saying they are holding the job up as not granting the Traffic Management/Lights  application.  I  was told on Tuesday by BT CS in India that the A55 had only been submitted on Monday 15th so that is a lie!

He also couldn't tell me why the Openreach engineer didn't turn up yesterday except that one should not have been booked in the first place and that one would "never" turn up even though it had been booked!!?? Reason being it is an outside line fault.  "No $h1t Sherlock!" No apology forthcoming either for not contacting me to let me know the appointment had been cancelled and thus letting me sit at home between 08:00-17:00 for nothing.  Totally unacceptable in my opinion and I shall be seeking compensation for my time, loss of earnings etc.  You couldn't make it up really, totally shambolic Customer Services all round form both Openreach and BT Retail. 

Would appreciate any assistance you are able to offer Robbie on this as it's getting beyond a joke now! I am sure there are many more local customers as part of these 200+ lines affected including ones on Businees Line contracts who are also in the same boat, so not sure why their SLA's aren't getting this outage rectified sooner???

I will forward my personal details by Private message as requested look forward to hearing from you!

Regards

Per Brandt

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

you need to use the mods contact us link not a private message as the mods do not reply to private messages
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

DoneSmiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for confirming that @pbrandt.

I've checked our queue and we have your email. We'll be in touch soon.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings