cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heybunny
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Phone Line not working since switching from Sky to BT. Broadband works fine.

Go to solution

Hello, I have recently switched our phone line from Sky to BT. We have a pair of BT 8500 handsets and upon attempting to make a call, both now have no dialling tone and say "Line cord error, please check". I will highlight the steps we have already taken to resolve this:

• Both handsets unplugged and batteries removed for over 24 hours before retrying, same error.
  • Plugging the base handset directly into the test socket (we have a NTE5 from the looks)
  • Trying a old fashioned, wired phone directly connected to the test socket (we have confirmed the phone works at a neighbour's house).

BT claim the line is fine and they will need to send an engineer out. However, I don't want to risk being charged £130 for something. This problem started the day BT took over the line, so I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with our house or wiring (I replaced all wiring with the BT Infinity kit) but nonetheless, I can't really afford to risk this charge.

Our BT Infinity broadband works absolutely fine. I can't explain why this is the case.

Thank you. 🙂

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Phone Line not working since switching from Sky to BT. Broadband works fine.

Go to solution
Hi.
If you have tried a known working phone into the test point (as you say you have) then there is nothing more you can do, you will have to accept the charge if proved to be an issue with your equipment.
I suspect when the line was moved from sky to BT it would have been a physical move of a jumper wire in the telephone exchange, the jumper runner may have moved the wrong wire or incorrectly connected.
Have you tried ringing your number and checking if someone else answers?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Heybunny
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Re: Phone Line not working since switching from Sky to BT. Broadband works fine.

Go to solution

Thank you for replying Dave! 🙂 

I have called the number from my mobile and it was met with silence for a minute or two, followed by a long single beep sound, until I hung up. I suspect the exchange is where the problem lies too. I take it an engineer would check that as well? The equipment was fine right up until the day we switched, now it's not working, I'll be appealing any charge BT try and issue me with, as I've found this fault with other people and it's very often the exchange if they've just switched.

I take it the exchange issue (if it is that), would not affect the broadband?

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
It depends where the incorrect termination within the exchange has occurred. The fact that you have working infinity means that to have a physical link back to the local fibre cabinet. The fault is going to be between the exchange equipment and the copper cabinet
My bet is either faulty exchange equipment or the jumper runner in the telephone exchange has not correctly terminated the jumper wire.
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
I have asked a forum moderator to help you they will post their contact link here
DanielS
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Hey @Heybunny,

I'm sorry the transfer didn't go as planned. Hopefully we can help you get up and running.

Take a look at the following page: How to test your phone line and equipment

If you can't find the help you need through the above link I'd like to get this looked into for you. We'll run a few checks to see if there's anything else that we can do to avoid sending an engineer out to you.

To reach us, click on my user name and then on contact the mods. It may take us a few days to get back to you but we will.

Thanks

DanielS

Heybunny
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you for all your replies! Daniel, I sent a message as instructed. I'd tried everything in that video already, but thank you for linking it! 🙂 

DanielS
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

You are very welcome @Heybunny.

Thanks for taking the time to complete that. We'll be in touch as soon as we can over the next few days.

Thanks

DanielS

Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
@DanielS. I think you have to admit heybunny has done as much as he can . As previously mentioned it does appear that the fault is exchanged based.
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for taking my call today @Heybunny.

I'm glad I was able to get this sorted for you. Post back if you have any other problems and we'll be happy to help.

All the best

David

0 Ratings