cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcb237
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Phone and Broadband not working

Hi there,  I have just moved into my flat - BT openreach socket not working - no phone line or broadband, although apparently no problem with the line (according to the BT call centre people) I took the faceplate off as advised and after looking at a few posts and BT youtube vids it looks like mine is wired wrongly.  There are no wires connected to the faceplate and just a number of coloured wires wrapped around the end of the main white line that comes into the flat, inside the socket.  The test socket does not work either when phone plugged directly into that.

Apparently the previous tenants had BT broad band and phone with no problems.  I have an engineer appt but am worried I will get charged even though I have done nothing to any of the wiring.  Is there are chance I will get charged??

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Phone and Broadband not working

I would make sure that there are no other working sockets first, just in case the last occupant rewired things.

Unless there are extensions, then there would be nothing connected to the from removable part of the master socket.

0 Ratings
jcb237
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Many thanks for your reply. There is definitely just one socket - it is just a small flat within a block. Other lines within the block are working and apparently the previous tenants had no issue!
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

when was your phone line activation date?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

@jcb237 wrote:
Many thanks for your reply. There is definitely just one socket - it is just a small flat within a block. Other lines within the block are working and apparently the previous tenants had no issue!

Openreach has probably re-used the route for another service provider, so they will have to re-provide a new one.

The line test is not very accurate anyway, so you will just have to wait until you get a visit.

0 Ratings
jcb237
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Ok thank you very much. The activation date was meant to be on the 23rd January but still nothing.

If that is the case Keith, I guess that would not be an issue that they could charge me for?

Thanks
0 Ratings