Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashhewer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Phone call interrupts Infinity

Go to solution

Hi, we had Infinity installed 4 days ago, and from the off it has been very quick (around 75Mbps down and 17Mbps up) and stable.

Today the phone rang for the first time (one of those wonderful calls to discuss my PPI cover....) so I listened for a couple of seconds, and hung up as soon as I knew what it was.  We were watching Netflix at the time, via a PS3 plugged via ethernet to the Home Hub.  I paused it to answer the phone, then pressed play as soon as I had hung up.

About 5 seconds later, Netflix declared an error and stopped playback.  I clicked OK and then hit play, and the programme started again instantly.

After the programme finished (Breaking Bad finale as it happens....) I started a random film on Netflix and played with the phone, flicking the switch on and off.  Sure enough, Netflix threw up the error.

My wife was browsing on her laptop at the time and noticed no interruption to her service.

About the install:

Our Infinity was installed by the engineer on an extension in the flat, which is next to our TV.  He tested the line before installation and said it was ok, and installed the Infinity faceplate there.  We were instantly online and as said before all has been fine except this issue.

The phone in question is a standard BT corded phone with no fancy extras.

There are two more phone sockets - one extension and the master - both of which have nothing plugged in.

At the end of the day we don't really need a landline, so can just unplug it and consider the problem solved - I'd prefer though to know what's going on and put it right!

Thanks for any ideas...?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Phone call interrupts Infinity

Go to solution

This one's simple.

The extension is the problem as it's not wired correctly. The install tech should've checked this and modified as necessary however you most likely got a contractor who would be clueless.

Ring it in as a phone line fault as that is what it is.

ashhewer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

It's always simpler than I think...

I asked the engineer to fit the "up to 30 metres of ethernet extension" mentioned in my email from BT to put the modem in back and router up front where we need it, but he refused saying he's not allowed to!

I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow and try and get them to send an engineer out to move the new faceplate to the master socket and install it properly!

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

That's the way to go, if you have a problem get back.

0 Ratings
ashhewer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

An update, in case it helps someone in future.

I moved my Infinity faceplate to the master socket (easy to do!) and installed the modem and hub there.

For one thing it suits the layout of the flat and where I want ethernet connections better, which is nice, but more importantly for the purpose of this thread I now don't suffer a dropout when the phone is picked up - the phone being on the same extension where it was before!

Thanks for the help 🙂

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

So the install tech didn't install your service on the master socket?

Yet another cowboy contractor.

0 Ratings