cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aermacchi
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Phone extension wiring fault

i have a problem with my phone extension no dial tone and lots of noise. I've checked the phone through the master socket and its fine, so the problem must be with the extension wiring. I started to check the wiring from the master socket, the first thing I noticed was that on pin 2 there was one white and blue wire and on pin 5 it was the same I assume that this should not be the case and would swop the polarity on one of the extensions, Is this the case and would it contribute to the problem? It had been wired this way by the BT engineer who installed the master socket who I presume would know what he was doing. Anyone got any suggestions before I start swapping wires around?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
artful42
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Phone extension wiring fault

Best thing to do is carefully make a note of its all currently wired up and then pull all the extensions out. Connect each one individually to eliminate which a good and which are faulty, you will probably need an IDC inserter tool or krone tool to correctly insert the a screwdriver will damage the connections. Extension will work regardless of which colour wires are connected to them provided that these are also terminated at the other socket.
0 Ratings
aermacchi
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Now discovered that it seems to be either a faulty microfilter or the home hub causing the problem. Phone is fine until I plug the home hub back in then the dial tone disappears and there is nothing but noise, unplug the hub and dial tone comes back. going to try a microfilter that I know is ok and see what happens

0 Ratings
artful42
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

From that sounds as though it is your filter, good detective work, fingers crossed.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

twofilters.jpgif the noise is still there try using 2 filters connected to each other and the hub connected to the first filter and the phone in the second filter

0 Ratings
aermacchi
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Tried as you suggested, the noise goes away, dial tone is there but if I try dialling I get the please replace the handset and try again message

0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

The normal extension wiring convention is blue with white bands connected to pin 2 and white with blue bands connected to pin 5.  So both wires are blue and white but they are not the same.  You do not normally need to connect any other pins and for broadband it can actually be harmful to do so.

0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

And if you don't have a faulty microfilter then you must have a faulty Home Hub.

0 Ratings
aermacchi
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

The way the wiring was connected at the master socket was pin2 one blue with white band and one white with blue band and the same on pin 5 which I assume would cross the polarities of the phone line the orange wire is connected at pin 3 although not not needed. This was the way it was wired by the the bt engineer who installed the master socket a few months ago-not inspiring confidence in bt engineers! the fault has only shown up recently though

0 Ratings