Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Phone fails to ring

Go to solution

Within the last 10 days my family and friends have been complaining that I do not answer their calls. But I have not heard my phone ring to announce an incoming call.

I have tested my line using the BT website which reports no fault found. I have tested the handset which rings. I can dial out, no problem. But when anyone calls me the phone does not ring.

Thinking maybe the phone was at fault I purchased a new one. Having set this up I found that it displayed the same fault. No ring on incoming calls.

This is very frustrating for all concerned.

What's the solution?

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Phone fails to ring

Go to solution

foxfire wrote:. I have tested the handset which rings.

Your statement is a bit confusing, if you mean that the handset is ringing when you call it?

If it does not, and you have run through the self help on this page

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9812/c/345,353
Then its almost certain its a line card fault in the exchange. Report it to BT, and they will arrange for an Openreach Field Technician to test in the exchange.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

Try calling your home line from your mobile, when you hear ringing in the earpiece of your mobile pick up the phone on your home number and check if you can connect.

If when you pick up your home phone whilst it is ringing on the mobile you get a dial tone you have a crossed line.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution
The handset does NOT ring when I call it. I have followed the instructions the self help page to no avail.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution
Hi Devon_Dave, tried your suggestion and I can connect. Still the handset does not ring.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

Then its almost certain an exchange fault. Report it to BT, its quite easy to fix by moving your line to another equipment position. An Openreach technician can do that in about 10 minutes, once he is given a new allocation.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution
Keith, could it be that the capacitor in the master socket has blown? If so maybe something I could replace?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

@foxfire wrote:
Keith, could it be that the capacitor in the master socket has blown? If so maybe something I could replace?

The capacitor is not used with modern phones, as they simply ring using the normal A and B wires. (2&5)

Its a legacy component, but it is still used as part of the automatic line test, to indicate that there is an NTE connected.

Failure of the ringing circuit in the exchange line card, is a very common occurance, owing to the age of the equipment in the exchanges.

I am sure that BT will sort it out, assuming that you have reported it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution
Thanks, Keith. I am trying to contact BT but am finding it impossible by phone so have emailed them. Maybe I'll get lucky!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution
Not much luck so far. It seems that every time I contact BT I get a different person and then have to explain the problem all over again. It's a pity there can't be a single point of contact, someone who takes ownership of the problem and solves it.