Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
denlong
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Phone goes wrong when it rains

Go to solution

I have reported an intermittent telephone fault 4 times since 10th October, which is ongoing as I write. The fault consists of getting incoming calls which cannot be replied to, all we can hear is noise and crackling, we cannot get a dial tone. Next the phone returns to normal, but goes off again a few hours or days later. It appears to happen whenever it rains.

2 engineers have contacted me, one a month ago and the other a week ago and they both reported that they could not find any real fault although they both say they fixed a dodgy connection. Their jiggling about in the linework seems to cure the problem so they sign it off as done. The problem returns next time it rains.

Today I discovered that a neighbour had BT Engineers in today because he has been having a similar problem for some time; so my question is - how can we get BT to do a co-ordinated cure of all the problems in the overhead cable system along our road which appears to be causing at least two households significant problems?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Phone goes wrong when it rains

Go to solution

Hi Denlong

Sorry to hear of the intermittent fault you have had with your telephone service when it rains.

Send us an email using the contact us form in my profile and we can look into this for you. You can copy the address for the form in the section 'About Me'.

Thanks

Stuart

Community ModeratorStuartH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
denlong
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Stuart - I cannot find the 'Contact us' form you refer to, and I've been searching for an hour. The only 'my profile' page I can find is at my BT but that doesn't have a link to you as far as I can see. As Result I cannot find your form in order to fill it in - sorry!

Anyway I have just had an email from BT 7 days after my repeat report of the fault and they tell me  "Sorry, but it looks as if extra work's needed to fix your fault. We'll let you know how we're getting on." - so that's a first.

Thanks for your response, DenLong

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Denlong

If you click on my name you will see an address you can copy from the section about me. If you go to this web address it will ask you to fill out the contact us form.

Thanks

Stuart

Community ModeratorStuartH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
denlong
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks StuartH I have found it and responded.

Denlong

0 Ratings
denlong
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

This getting far beyond a joke - I had an email saying my fault is fixed, the website says the fault is fixed. The fault is NOT FIXED - read my lips. I have no dial tone.

I have now had to reopen the fault for the fifth time - presumably they will do nothing for a further 3 days which will expand to 8 day as did this last one.

IT makes me glad that I wrote to the Managing Director on Friday.

0 Ratings
denlong
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Well it took until the 27th November before we got an Openreach engineer to check our terribly noisy erratic phone service. So my 8 day response time proved to be correct

I was also correct about the fault being rain related - the engineer located the fault to a pit close to our village green, on the pavement next to a bus stop, (590 Metres) from here, where a bundle of 40 cables were poorly connected, and they had only been insulated with much degraded insulation tape and, guess what? - The pit was water logged!

He was unable to do a proper repair job as he isn't allowed to enter the pit on his own and without gas-test equipment. According to a neighbour who saw him working there, he repaired what he could and rewrapped with tape. The engineer told me he needed to report back to management that the repair was provisional and would recommend a proper job with a proper water proof cover for the cable joints.

I expect that will happen when hades freezes over judging by the hand to mouth regime everyone seems to be running at the moment.

Still, I have a working phone and my wife can start phoning around the family to make Christmas arrangements - and I will get a little peace; except the broadband is running at a sixth of its normal speed - but I suppose that's another story.

My thanks to the forum moderators who helped sort out a few things and raised the profile of my problems - my letter to Warren Buckley, Managing Director, Customer Service seems to have been the main driving force through the most excellent intervention of Yvonne Ashford to whom he passed my complaint. My thanks to her.

I hope my experience helps others - all praise to this forum!

Denlong

0 Ratings