cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Phone line Busy

Hi, every time I try to call my house phone or someone tries calling me it says the line is busy but no-one is actually on the phone. How do I stop it from being busy because I'm afraid of being charged a huge amount for a phone call I'm not even making? 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Phone line Busy

Test Socket.jpghave you tried connecting your phone to the test socket and see if that cures the problem

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

ok it works in the test socket what do i do now?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

if i leave it in the test socket my internet doesn't work
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

If the Test Socket works then there is a problem with something connected at one of your extension sockets.  Unplug everything else from the extensions sockets.  That includes your sky box, broadband router, fax machine as well as all other telephones.

Replace the faceplate and connect your phone to the faceplate socket.  Does it still work?  If so, plug everything else back into its socket one-by-one.  Test each time until you again get the engaged tone on incoming calls.  Whatever you last plugged in is causing the problem. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

I've unplugged everything and reconnected the faceplate but it doesn't work could it be a hardware issue with the socket box?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

if the line is only working at the test socket it is either a faulty faceplate or faulty internal wiring and you need an engineer to replace the master socket you can connect your phone and your home hub by using a filter in the test socket
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

The problem is that a BT engineer may charge you a hefty amount if it turns out to be faulty wiring rather than a faulty faceplate because the internal wiring belongs to you and BT will not fix it for free.  

0 Ratings