Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kneeocks
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Phone line already installed just unactive

Go to solution

I already have an unactive phone line in my house, does an engineer still need to come out regardless of this?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Phone line already installed just unactive

Go to solution

@kneeocks wrote:

I already have an unactive phone line in my house, does an engineer still need to come out regardless of this?

When the work is finished in the exchange and cabinet, an automatic line test is done. If it detects that there is a master socket connected to the end, then a visit from Openreach is not normally needed, provided your phone works when plugged into the socket.

I am assuming that you have ordered a line from BT, as other service providers may do things differently.

kneeocks
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Yeah I made an order yesterday and I wouldn't be asking t...

Go to solution

Yeah I made an order yesterday and I wouldn't be asking this if I wasn't given an activation date on the 10th of december! Just wondering if its possible to take the engineer out of the equation and just go straight to activation?

0 Ratings
kneeocks
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Re: Yeah I made an order yesterday and I wouldn't be asking t...

Go to solution

I don't have a phone either to test the socket but if I acquire one and I get a quiet tone would it be possible to process the order without an engineer having to come out and me having to wait a month?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Get a phone, plug it into the socket, and report back what you find, then I can give you a better idea what to expect.

If you get dial tone, dial 1470 17070, and see what the number is.

Please leave the subject of this thread the same, otherwise it will get lost.

kneeocks
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

there is no dial tone when its plugged in but wouldnt that mean its just inactive? wouldnt bt be able to test my line still?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

It means that there is no connection back to the exchange, so nothing can be done until the work is done in the exchange, and on the external network.

If there was dial tone, then it would have been a stopped line, which could have been re-activated via software. That would have avoided a visit.

Once the circuit is complete, then a line test can be carried out.

kneeocks
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Ah okay, so until then just keep checking the reschedule appointment page and hope for an earlier appointment to pop up!

Thankyou for the help!

0 Ratings