cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Phone line hacked - being charged £230!!!

Go to solution
I've had nothing but problems with BT since I took out broadband last month. Firstly they declined my topcashback request but now something even worse has happened.

I had a bill yesterday for £150 of phonecalls and today I had one for £80. Someone is making constant calls overseas and it's being billed to my number. It's definitely not me. I don't even have a phone in the house!

I spoke to several people at BT but unfortunately as we were communicating using second languages they couldn't understand my problem.

I've placed a block on all outbound calls but in the meantime I have just had a message saying that £150 has been added to my direct debit and it will be automatically taken from my account in 9 days.

I don't have this money. I rang BT billing and the guy on the other end of the phone couldn't understand me and told me to call back in a week. I had been hoping to arrange a suspension of the bill until we've identified what's happened.

Can I stop my direct debit so BT can't take this money? I'm in the middle of buying a house and it's worrying me for 2 reasons: 1) I don't have this cash 2) I don't want to have a negative credit score so close to completion as the purchase may fall through.

I can't believe how unhelpful BT are being. I feel like crying. I wish I'd never gone near them. There's an engineer here right now who has identified there's a fault on the line but that doesn't fix the issue of this impending bill and BT have said they may charge me an additional £120 for calling out an engineer!
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Phone line hacked - being charged £230!!!

Go to solution
I have asked a forum moderator to help you they will post there contact link here
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Hi @xchange,

Get in touch with me by clicking on my username and then on contact the mods. We'll look into it for you but it will take us a few days longer than normal.

In the meantime, I'd suggest contacting our chat team to stop the direct debit and change your account to a cash/cheque payment system to stop the Direct Debit request. You can also stop the Direct Debit agreement with your bank to be sure it doesn't come out. Ask that we extend the date we need payment so that we can prevent any extra charges appearing on your bill for late payment. The chat link is below:

Question about my phone/broadband bill

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

You need to check, using a phone, to make sure you have the right phone number. It could be that your line is crossed with someone else, and they are taking advantage of this by makling intenational calls.

Plug a phone in, and dial 1470 17070. It will read back your phone number, you can then check to see if its the number that matches your account.

If its not, then that would explain the bills.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Yes the engineer confirmed that the line is crossed but I still have to deal with the extortionate bill now 😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

That should make it a bit easier to pinpoint the problem @xchange seeing as the calls may have been raised during a time you couldn't make them.

I can't see anything from you in our queue at the moment. You can find the contact the mod links through my username in the about section.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks Daniel, I'm doing as you've suggested and I've also emailed the moderators. 

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks Daniel, I only just sent the email in to the moderators, perhaps it's in now?

For others' reference, the online chat team say they cannot move my bill to cash payments. I'm trying to negotiate a payment holiday now. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

That's there now @xchange, thank you. It'll take us about 5 working days to look into it the charges raised for you but we will.

The only way that they can change you over to it is to cancel the Direct Debit. It's done automatically then. It can be done.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

OK payment holiday sorted but despite spending 40 minutes on the phone yesterday to BT it seems like the tech team didn't put a block on outgoing calls. The chat person is telling me I have to pay to enact the block despite the fact that it's BT's incompetence that's caused this issue in the first place.

I can't believe what crummy service BT offers its customers. I've often heard BT competitors talk about BT having a monopoly on the market. Now I see what they mean - if line infrastructure was opened up to the competitive market I'm sure BT wouldn't be able to get away with this kind of inadequate business process. 

0 Ratings