cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 19

Re: Phone line hacked - being charged £230!!!

Go to solution
The infrastructure is open to over 500 communication providers.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution
It is Openreach who provide and maintain the network for something like 500 providers of which BT Retail your provider is just one
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution

@john46 wrote:
It is Openreach who provide and maintain the network for something like 500 providers of which BT Retail your provider is just one

And Openreach is owned by BT Group as you well know.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution
Openreach is a separate company which is part of the BT Group and as you know gets no preferential service over other providers
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

@john46 wrote:
Openreach is a separate company which is part of the BT Group and as you know gets no preferential service over other providers

One would hope not, given the service they have provided to this particular BT Retail customer!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution
crossed lines happen with all providers not just BT
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

@aoxm84 wrote:

@john46 wrote:

One would hope not, given the service they have provided to this particular BT Retail customer!

Most people with a working phone would soon realise there was a problem, as they would be receiving calls intended for another person, and friends would not be able to ring them.

It a good reason for everyone to have a cheap wired phone plugged into their phone socket, and to check their line is working, and they can receive incoming calls.

It also useful if you have a poor broadband speed, as noise on the phone line will affect broadband.

The lack of current flowing through a phone line, can make any high resistance faults, much worse, due to oxidisation.

If you reported the issue right away, then there is a good chance you will get refunded. If the other customer was with BT Retail, then its possible BT may try and recover the charges. Not sure what their policy is.

It also useful if you have a poor broadband speed, as noise on the phone line will affect broadband.

The lack of current flowing through a phone line, can make any high resistance faults, much worse, due to oxidisation.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution
Thank you for the support 🙂

Indeed I should have clarified I am referring to BT open reach and I believe there is some debate as to just how objective their treatment is.

Honestly the installation process was so poor that the bad speed was the least of my worries. I have been spending all my energy just arranging to have broadband after BT cancelled my order without telling me.

It's a fair point about plugging in a cheap phone but I live in a tiny flat and it would take up space I don't have. I also feel that I shouldn't have to be performing admin for a company that is charging me a lot of money for a service. In addition it is increasingly common for younger people not to use landlines at all and infrastructure providers need to recognise this and move with the times else risk losing their business.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution
having a cheap basic phone connected also reduces the risk of charges should an engineer ever be called in as it can be used to eliminate any internal problems with the line also an active land line is needed to deliver the broadband service be that a copper or fibre connection
0 Ratings