cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RichRolls
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Phone line not working but Infinity is Fine

We had a huge thunderstorm last Monday, which caused a power cut.

Since then, our phone line is dead (it just makes a clicking noise), although if you ring our number, it appears to be ringing (which it isn't).

However, BT Infinity is working even faster.

I did the on-line check of our service and it says there is no fault, and so if I call out a BT engineer, it could cost me £130!!

I'm sure it isn't working, as I've tried an old cordless phone (which I haven't used for years) and I still get the clicking.

I've read that one of the wires may be dead, but I don't know what course of action to take.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Rich

If you found this information helpful, please click the star to the left of this post. If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
RichRolls
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Phone line not working but Infinity is Fine

I have checked our telephones in the test socket, and they work fine, but not through the normal socket!!

Rich

If you found this information helpful, please click the star to the left of this post. If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

@RichRolls wrote:

I have checked our telephones in the test socket, and they work fine, but not through the normal socket!!

Then there is a fault in that socket, which Openreach will charge to replace. They go faulty quite often, but you can replace them yourself.

You can get around the problem by plugging a microfilter into the test socket, and then plugging the phone and broadband into the microfilter.

RichRolls
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

Thanks, Keith

I am very un-handy, so I might find it hard to do!!

How much would OR charge to replace the socket, please?

And also, which bit do you buy and is there any guidance on connecting it?

Is it the bottom bit of the OR socket?

Thanks.

Rich

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

They would charge £130 to replace it.

This thread may help.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Need-a-new-BT-Infinity-SSFP-but-no-idea-whe...

If you have no extensions, its just as easy to plug a microfilter into the test socket.

RichRolls
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

As I am so bad at DIY, is there anybody out there who could do it for me for a fee, please?
Rich

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

Have a look in your local Yellow Pages or online. You should be able to find a competent electrician, quite possibly one with telephone experience. It will cost a lot less than £130.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.