cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
purleydom
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

Phone line not working.

I currently can't use my landline due to it having 'no line'.

My internet also doesn't work (I realise this is the wrong section for this)

Cliffs:

-Been with bt for years

-Decided to upgrade b4 christmas to infinity

-'Upgrade' on december 30th consisted of engineer plugging in new hub.

-No internet working since

-No phone line since 1st jan-on that day we had a cross line?

-Have contacted bt over phone line and am told could take a week+possible £130 charge?? Seriously i mean come on!

-Having had nightmare experiences with the indian call centre before and I am loathe to call them-so have contacted bt on twitter about the broadband as well as the phone problem. No response as of yet.

I know most people will say just man up and call the call centre, but i've had nothing but constant troubles with them before, I can't understand most people I speak to as they have very strong accents and poor english+ they can't seem to understand me, so we spend an hour going round in circles befor an engineer is called or i'm told to ring back!

-I'm using a payg dongle right now and any calls will be via my mobile, surely I shouldn't have to pay for their own incompetence?

-Would cancel the whole thing but the contract is for 18 months.

-Currently going out of mind.

Help!

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Phone line not working.

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only, where forum members, who are only BT customers, can help each other with BT Retail products and services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.

You will only be charged if there is a problem within your property. Its most likely an external line or equipment fault.

BT do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach who work for all service providers. BT do not get any special treatment.

Openreach have a backlog of work due to the recent bad weather, so installation and repairs are taking much longer than normal. Business customers take priority, so you will have to wait.

You can arrange a free divert of incoming calls to your mobile.

See

Customer service guarantee

0 Ratings
purleydom
Beginner
Message 3 of 20

Thanks for your reply.

I understand it's a customer forum, strange that it's linked via the bt site, however, surely as such bt should read most posts.

When an engineer who has a 6 hour time slot arrives and merely plugs in a hub-anybody could do this-surely it is reasonable to expect that the phone and broadband services will work as usual? Instead shoddy work means-he hasn't apparently checked anything properly-means that indeed  I will have to wait and suffer without either service. This is unacceptable.

I don't agree that 8 days into this problem I have to sit back and wait while openreach-nice sidestepping bt-deal with the problems of business priority cases etc-I have every right to expect an issue like this firstly not to occur because of a simple upgrade, and secondly to be resolved and dealt with professionally.

Diverting calls to my mobile doesn''t help with the cost of calling for which I am now paying twice, nor does it help my partner.

To be threatened with further costs by bt is an absolute joke.

I will be going through my contract with a fine tooth comb to see if I can get out of it unless my problems are fixed within a couple of days.

I will also be using every available media to explain about this shoddy service and how I have been treated.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

According to the customer service guarantee, as well as providing a free divert, they also give you a daily allowance towards your mobile calls.

As with most service providers, you are reliant on Openreach, and they give priority to business customers.

As a BT customer myself, there is nothing else I can suggest. It sounds like you had a contractor to install your Infinity, as the Openreach Field Technicians are usually very good, and have to run a lot of tests before they can close the job.

I assume a new NTE like this was fitted as well?

newnte.jpg

0 Ratings
purleydom
Beginner
Message 5 of 20

Nope. I assumed such would be done too. The email stated this as well.

He was openreach though, his van showed this.

But instead he just turned up-after getting lost-for 5 minutes and only plugged in the hub-said it worked and left.

Maybe that's the problem, they didn't set up a new nte-and instead i've got the old one that's been there for 7 years.

He didn't even come to check anything either, brought no tool kit, just asked if I had been sent a hub, plugged it and left.

Truely shocking service mate, and I work at home so really need the internet plus a landline-my mobile has a poor signal.

0 Ratings
ChristopherP
Moderator-Retired
Message 6 of 20

Hi purleydom,

If you fill out the contact us form located in the about me section of my profile we can take a look at this for you.
Cheers,
Chris
BT Mod Team.
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
purleydom
Beginner
Message 7 of 20

Hi Chris,

Yeah I have filled out that form about 4 times now.

I'm currently awaiting a call via btcare on twitter.

Been a while though and have to admit I don't feel that confident about anything getting dealt with right now.

Guesss I'll have to wait.

Just would be nice if bt/openreach/whoever on earth is in charge of my order-actually made an effort not to delay everything.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

This is the form you should see, its different from the normal one, and goes to a special UK team who take personal ownership.

Image2.jpg

0 Ratings
purleydom
Beginner
Message 9 of 20

Thanks Chris and Keith yeah I didn't realise it was yet another form-looks very similar.

I think i'll leave it at the moment due to recieving a phone call from someone at btcare just now.

Apparently it's a phone fault that's caused the broadband issue too.

Won't fill out that form as it might be a case of too many cooks and at last I have a contact point now.

Thanks for both of you for your help though.

I def think @btcare on twitter is a way for people to go as they seem to be easier to converse with than the indian based call centre I have had such issues with before.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

My guess its a local routing probem through the main cabinet, and the Infinity cabinet. Its not unknown for local cable pair records to be incorrect, however any error should have been fixed before the technician left your house.

If you still get issues, please use the form provided, and you will get personal help with the problem.

0 Ratings