Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hickssl
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Phone not displaying number

Hi

I signed up to BT Mobile and used the discount voucher to purchase a Samsung Galaxy Ace 4.

The SIM and phone arrived on the same day and so I put the SIM in the phone and activated it. When I went into the phone settings and selected "About Device" then "Status", against "My phone number" it showed the the number that had been allocated to me. So far so good! I then got a PAC code from Orange so that I could transfer my Orange number over to BT.

The transfer took place today and all seems ok except that since the number change when I check "Status" in the settings menu it now says against "My phone number" Unknown.

Thinking this was a problem with the SIM I had an online chat with BT Mobile but was told it was an issue with the phone.

However I still think this is an issue with the SIM for the following reason. My wife also has a Samsung Galaxy Ace 4 and when I swap the SIMs around, her phone displays Unknown against "My phone number" using my SIM and my phone displays her number ok using her SIM. When I swap the SIMs back, her phone reads her number ok and mine goes back to Unknown under "Status" in the settings. With the problem moving backwards and forwards with the SIM, how can this be a phone issue. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you get it resolved.

Steve

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Phone not displaying number

I think you'll find it's normal for smartphones not to update the native number when a SIM is changed or amended, the precise behaviour seemingly dependent on the make of phone and the network. My HTC One M8, bought brand new and SIM-free, has a fresh nano SIM set up with my existing Tesco number. The phone operates perfectly normally although it shows a number I've never heard of; my redundant HTC Desire HD still shows an alien number even though there's no SIM in it; my wife's Sony Xperia also works fine with a transferred Voda SIM although, like your Galaxy, it shows number unknown.

If your phone's working properly there's nothing to resolve but you may be able to edit the number manually if it's important to you..

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
hickssl
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply, but I am unable to put the number in manually as I don't have the option in the settings menu. However this must be something to do with the SIM as the phone behaves normally and reads my wife's number when I put her SIM in my phone. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

Is your wife also on BT Mobile? As I said, the behaviour seems to vary depending on network and make of phone.

Is it causing any difficulties with the operation of your phone? The behaviour of the HTCs is even more irrational, showing numbers I've never heard of, but as long as it's not a problem it's not a problem.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Wingding
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Hi,

You are not alone in the world. I switched to BT mobile (SIM-only) this week, porting my old EE number. Everything went fine and works fine, just this niggling issue of My phone number being "unknown". I have an LG Nexus 4 and am running Android 5.1.1. I drill down to where the number should be via Settings -> About phone -> Status -> SIM status. All entries under SIM status have sensible values apart from My phone number. I too have no facility for updating the phone number field. Perhaps there is some app that can manage user-updateable SIM fields? If I find anything I'll let you know. 

0 Ratings
Wingding
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Hi again,

I found two apps called SIM manager. One of them shows you that your phone number is unavailalbe but neither of them allow editing of this field. I read somewhere it might be possible to edit the SIM in an old dumb phone, but all things considered I think I'll just live with this. It does appear to be a shortcoming in BT though that they don't do the update.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

@Wingding wrote:
It does appear to be a shortcoming in BT though that they don't do the update.

It's obviously not sunk in that this isn't particularly a BT problem. In fact I can't see how it's a problem at all.

--
0 Ratings