cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Phone number blocked after adding caller display

Go to solution

I'm posting this problem on behalf of my grandmother. Earlier today I made some changes to her package. I removed Unlimited Anytime Calls and added Caller Display. At the same time I also opted her into TPS.

Since then, I am unable to get through to her landline when calling from my mobile. When I dial the number, it rings twice, I then hear an intermittent tone that lasts for a few seconds then the call disconnects. *However*, if I withold my number by using the 141 suffix, I can get through just fine. All other numbers I have tried calling from also work fine, and my mobile can ring all other numbers okay too.

It appears my number has somehow been blocked, either by BT or by the TPS. It's not possible that it's been blocked by the handset as it doesn't have this feature. I've spoken to several advisors at the BT call centre in India this evening but they are struggling to understand what the issue is. One even booked an engineer after saying there's a line fault but as they couldn't assure me my grandmother wouldn't be charged for this, I had to cancel the appointment.

Please can someone help?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Phone number blocked after adding caller display

Go to solution

@av-115 that's not good, the TPS registration won't block calls as they just make sure the number is not on any UK companies cold calling lists so it shouldn't be related to that. When you added caller display did you also add call protect? 

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for your quick reply! No, BT Call Protect is not active on the account. Currently speaking to Live chat about the issue and they're completely baffled but agree something has gone wrong as the problem started immediately after making those changes to the account.

Edit: Do you know, if my number has somehow been blocked, would it actually say this when calling the landline? Or would I just get the above mentioned intermittent tone and then be cut off?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

It's now been passed to Openreach and I've been assured there won't be any charges for this, kept the transcript just in case.

Not sure what OR will be able to do about it, the problem seems to be a config issue at BT's end rather than an actual line fault.

My theory is that as I was on the phone to the account holder just as the Caller Display order went through, that this has *somehow* caused the problem. After all it's only my number that can't get through.

We'll soon find out hopefully!

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

So it works when your no. isn't going to be displayed (withheld) & not when it should be displayed. Sounds like something to do with her recently added Caller ID feature.

Can you find another phone to see the same pattern happens?

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply.

Just to provide closure on this issue, I tried another phone and the issue went away. Plugged the old phones back in and issue came back again. After resetting the handsets to factory defaults, the problem is now solved. I still don't know why this happened, the number was definitely not blocked by the account holder but for some reason the handsets were not letting the call come through. I'm just glad an engineer doesn't need to come out (appointment now cancelled)!

Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I also have changed phones, but the one number is still blocked. BT tells me No one is blocked, but they are Wrong!!

0 Ratings