cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Supernova
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Phone number supposedly ported but previous provider says not...?

Go to solution
Hi,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here please.

Moved to BT last week, and until yesterday afternoon I was unable to receive calls on my landline.
I knew this was a number port issue, which after several long and pointless phone calls to Support I unfortunately ended up threatening not to pay them unless they fixed this in 24 hours.

Thankfully that seemed to get my point across, and I received a call back saying that they had done the port. Sure enough, a call to 17070 and a line test proved this, as well as some test calls from other landlines and mobiles. I thought all was sorted, until I called Virgin Media to ensire the old contract was cancelled.

However, to my surprise Virgin still advised that the number hadn't been ported! They advised I needed to speak with BT again to port the number, however I don't understand how that can be if everything appears to be working. I can only think that it's one of two things - either it just takes time (24 /48 hours etc) to update on Virgin's system, or if I force Virgin to cancel the service it with stop my phone working again as Openreach have done some funky routing with my number.

Hopefully someone with a better understanding of these workings can advise please? 8 days into the contract and I'm already regretting moving to BT!
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
PaddyB
Message 2 of 8

Re: Phone number supposedly ported but previous provider says not...?

Go to solution

Hi @Supernova,

Welcome to the community forum. I'm sorry to hear that your number hasn't been ported across correctly. I'll be able to take a look at this for you.

Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Supernova
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks PaddyB.

Details sent.

0 Ratings
Supernova
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Hi PaddyB,

So, long story short, I spoke to Virgin however they advised that they still have not received a porting request from BT.

But as the phone line is still working I told them to just cancel the line.

Guess we shall see what happens!

Thanks for your help PaddyB.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

@Supernova Thanks for posting and letting us know. Did they advise you when the cancellation would complete on their systems? 

0 Ratings
Supernova
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@NeilO The account has actaully closed already, and the line still seems to be working.

Checking here though www_textmagic_com/free-tools/carrier-lookup still shows the carrier as Virgin Media though, as do similiar services.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@Supernova it's definitely on the BT network according to all the checks I have made and this has also been confirmed by the Openreach number port department.  Those third party checkers will likely take a while to reflect the transfer. 

0 Ratings
Supernova
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
@NeilO That's good to know, thanks.
Just wonder why it wasnt showing correctly on Virgin's system? I would have thought that they would know the number has been ported. But that's not your problem 🙂
0 Ratings