cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Phone only calls local and 0845/0800 numbers after bt engineer switched our line - any ideas why?

We cannot make calls to mobile numbers nor long distance numbers - only local calls and 0845/0800 numbers.  When you try and make a call, firstly there is a dial tone but the phone then goes dead once the number is put in - can anyone advise on the cause?  It does not do this when the number called is local.

The "Bt track a fault" web site says that this is a fault in our house however we have also tested the phone and by taking the plate off the socket and plugging it into the right hand side and the same problem is experienced.  So, given the results of this test, it cannot be our phone and this has been reported to Bt.  Even so, we are very frustrated as we are being asked to take a day off work even though it looks like the fault is nothing to do with our house.  We have also experienced this problem after a frustrating 12 days which started off as follows:

On the 6th of October the phone line started to crackle badly and then the following day we had no connection (reported on the 7th).  After an initial investigation on the Monday 11th we were told "it was an exchange problem" then we heard nothing from Bt.  Finally on 14 and 15th I chased them - it was causing a lot of problems as my mobile does not work in the area and our family needed to contact us urgently.  Then an engineer turned up at 4pm on friday and switched our phone line to another as there was a known problem with one of the two lines going to our local exchange (we were not alone in this problem as someone down the road was also disconnected for 9 days too).  We thought we were back on line until I found out later on Friday that our phone was not good for long distance calls. 

Lastly people can call us from mobiles and long distance so we are connected to the network but can't call out

Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Phone only calls local and 0845/0800 numbers after bt engineer switched our line - any ideas why

Have you any call baring on your line?

You could try dialling *#34# this will tell you if it set or not

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Re: Phone only calls local and 0845/0800 numbers after bt engineer switched our line - any ideas why

Thanks for the idea however it says that this service request is not available from this line.  

It does look like all numbers that carry a cost are the ones we cannot call though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

Do BT bill you for the calls or another provider, try prefixing the dialled number with 1280

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

This makes no difference.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

From your description:

When you try and make a call, firstly there is a dial tone but the phone then goes dead once the number is put in - can anyone advise on the cause?  It does not do this when the number called is local.

It sounds like your line has been restricted or a call barring has been placed on the line by the service provider (not a customer controlled call barring which the check codes *#34# wont show).

i dont think this would show up on the line test either (as the line test just checks to see if there is a problem with the 'copper' line and some of the equipment in the exchange) and this isnt something which would be resolved by sending an engineer to your property ( as the engineer will just see that the line is restricted and cant remove, as the engineer cant tell if the restriction should be there or not).

these restrictions are normally set up for 2 reasons:

1 - unpaid bills, the service provider can restrict all or part of the calls until payment has been made.

2 - the cost of the calls has exceeded the 'credit' agreed on the account (all lines are subject to a level of credit which is set based on your credit check) again the service provider can restrict all or part of the calls untill the credit level has been accepted or increased.

there is a third reason and the more likely, which is 'human error' a restriction can be placed on the account by mistake and can then be a nightmare to get removed.

if you get silence after dialling the second number is dialled (as this is the piont the ecxhange will recognise if the call is local or free) then this is the probable cause.

you mentioned that an engineer has switched your line, was this a renumber or a repair?

if this was a repair it is probably just a coincidence and not related, but if you had a renumber then it is possible the restrction was on the number you got switched to, this shouldnthappen, but again mistakes happen

The only way to get this sorted is by calling the BT repair help desks on 0800800151 and ask them to check if there are any restrictions on the line, if they find one then they can deal without sending an engineer, this should have been done when you reported the problem (You could also try emailing the moderators with a link back to this thread)

good luck with getting this sorted.

0 Ratings