cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

Phone rings but can't hear caller on incoming calls, out going calls are fine?

Unable to hear caller on incoming phone calls (completely dead), can make out going calls with no problem at all. Have tried using another phone set known to be good and have same issue, my broadband is working with no problem, BT line check says no fault identified. Have changed the filter, tried phone straight in to box (main and only box) and gone straight into the test port. Problem persists, have checked for wire corrosion in box, all good. ??

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Phone rings but can't hear caller on incoming calls, out going calls are fine?

Sound like an exchange fault, have you reported it yet?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Re: Phone rings but can't hear caller on incoming calls, out going calls are fine?

I'm about to, was nervous of incurring a £140 odd bill if the engineer finds fault within my property so I thought I'd put it out here in case there was a 'simple fix'. Given that BT installed the line in the first place and there has been no mods to their work this seems a it steep. Thanks for your thoughts, it defies my logic.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

if the fault is at the test socket then you will not be charged for the engineer visit
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

I'm having exactly the same problem. Changed from sky to BT last Friday. Was with sky for 3 years and not had a single fault. since the line was changed over I cannot hear anyone on incoming calls however outbound calls are absolutely fine. I've plugged the phone directly into the main socket, the test socket, swapped micro filters and tried different phones without success. As I live in an area with poor mobile signal the landline is quite important to us. I eventually reported to BT tonight however their line fault tests do not show any problems on the line. I have an engineer visit booked for Thursday morning so will let you know what they say
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

Ok so Had  a tex off BT Today advising they had done more line tests and it wash showing it was a it was a internal problem and a engineer would be round 28.04.16 between 8am - 1pm.

Came home from work tested the line again before i took everything apart to see i could have one last go at self diagnosing and low and behold the line is working absolutely fine im recieving calls and can hear the caller, so what ever tests they've been doing today have resolved the issue.

I would suggest giving them a call, log the fault and see if the same happens.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

Not sure Jason D 's problem is the same, if you ported the number from Sky and the port was not completed correctly or delayed  a problem can occur where outgoing calls are ok , but on  incoming calls, the phone doesn't 'ring' so you don't get to the point of not hearing the incoming caller because the phone doesn't 'ring' to alert you to the fact you have an incoming call to answer in the first place,  the OP states that their problem is the phone rings but when they answer they cannot hear  the caller

0 Ratings