Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjramos
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Phone setup

Go to solution

Hi,

I have been a BT broadband customer for 18 months but I have never connected a phone handset to the line. I am now experiencing some broadband issues and at BT Customer Support I was asked to test my phone line but I am not completely sure how should I connect my phone.

Sockets 

I have attached a picture of the sockets I have at home. Those are the only sockets there are at my place and they were already there when I moved in. There is a RJ11 on the top and a BT plug at the bottom. When I first joined BT, a BT engineer told me that I should connect the ADSL router directly to the RJ11 socket.

That has always worked fine until now. I have just purchased a phone handset and I can never get a dial tone. If I connect it directly to the bottom BT plug, I get no line but when I hang up the phone, the broadband connection drops (indicator in flashing orange). If I connect the microfilter and the phone cable to it same thing happens: Hang up, no line, broadband drops. Finally, I have accessed the test socket and even when connecting the phone to it I have no dial tone.

It seems clear to me that there is a problem with my phone line but apart from that, could somebody tell me which would be the correct way to connect both phone and router given that socket?Connection

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Phone setup

Go to solution

if the master socket was/is wired correctly theh broadband connects to top socket and phone without filter connects to bottom socket.

if you remove bottom half of socket and connect phone with filter then it should get dial tone and work  if not then report a phone fault to 151

is this the only socket you have in your home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
jjramos
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Yes, I do have a test socket and have connected the phone to it both with and without microfilter but I cannot get a dial tone.

Test Socket.JPG

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

do you have any other sockets in your home?  is have you tried these to see if you can get a dial tone?  if no other sockets then report a phone fault to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jjramos
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

No other sockets in the house. I will report the fault.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I notice you've used a microfilter.  If you're testing the phone line, you should be able to plug the phone straight into the test socket, with nothing else in between.

If it still doesn't work, then either the phone's dead or the line's dead.  Be aware that if Openreach come out and it's the phone that's faulty, then you will be charged a call-out fee.  It may be worth double-checking, either by trying the phone on someone else's line, or borrowing a different phone.

0 Ratings