Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
me00
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Phoneline not working from day 1

Go to solution

Hi all,

I just got a new BT line and Infinity broadband installed.

However, the handset arrived about 3 days after the line was installed so we were not really able to test the phone service when the engineer was around.

Now, I'm unable to make calls with the new line. When I call the line from another phone, it is always having an engaged tone.

When I run a test from the BT site, it tells me there is an problem with the phone wiring in the house. I just moved into the apartment and there was no phone line when I moved in. All the installation was done by the BT engineer. When I connect the phone line to the "test port" in the socket, I still do not get a dial tone and the "Check line cord" error still persist on the handset.

When trying to check the phone/broadband wiring from outside the house, I noticed that there are two seperate cables coming from the junction box outside the house (my guess is that - one each for voice and broadband). Only one cable is connected from the box outside to the BT openreach socket inside the house. The other one was cut off and taped halfway. Could this be the problem with the line?

I trust with your experience, you could help sort this out. By the way, the broadband works great!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Phoneline not working from day 1

Go to solution
You need an engineer visit to resolve this problem broadband is supplied over the same pair as your voice line
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

If you still aren't getting a dial tone on the test socket, then either Openreach's equipment is faulty, or your phone is faulty.  Double check that it isn't the phone, then contact BT to insist on a call-out.

The line checker is not accurate.  I have had two faults in the past where the line checker said the fault was in my property.  In both cases, it was a broken wire at the telephone pole.

You only need one cable pair for both phone and broadband.  You only need a second pair for a second phone line.

0 Ratings
me00
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

BT engineer visited this morning and resolved the issue. Phoneline was wrongly connected in the cabinet outside.

Thanks everyone.

0 Ratings