cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RKM
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 4

Photo timeline in BT Cloud

When I select Photos in the  BT Cloud website it comes up with a calendar icon which, when I click it, shows a timeline from Nov 1, 2 to August 12, 2017 (today).  At first I didn't notice anything odd with this, but closer examination shows that the date at the start of the timeline really is the first of November in the year 0002!

I can scroll the date forward to, for example, first of July 1066, or a bit further on it comes to first of February 1314.  Unfortunately, having a timeline this long means that there is no precision at all, so i cannot select photos from only the last month or so, or even the last year.

I am pretty sure that photography wasn't invented until the 19th century, and the concept of embedding date information in the digital file is somewhat more recent.  Honest, I don't have conclusive evidence that an arrow really did shoot King Harold in the eye on 14th October 1066, or who killed the princes in The Tower in the summer of 1483.  In fact, unsurprisingly, I don't have any photos uploaded to the cloud which stem from more than a daceade or so back.

So why does the timeline have to span such an enormous range, most of which doesn't contain a single photo, rather than the actual date range used, with more precision in selecting dates?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
JoeV
Retired BT Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Photo timeline in BT Cloud

Hi @RKM,

Haha, you're correct that BT doesn't have secret evidence of bronze age digital cameras 🙂

The timeline range is dynamic - the 'start' date is determined by the earliest photo / video date in your metadata, and the 'end' date is determined by the most recent one. I had a similar problem with some old (and highly embarrassing) photos of my school leavers day. I had borrowed a newfangled digital camera, and had managed to set the date to 1st Jan 2340, so my timeline was extending far into the future.

You can fix the problem by filtering the timeline to just show photos with a date of before 1800 (as an example), and then deleting / correcting the metadata for the rogue files with the date in the year 0002.

Longer term, I'm very keen on improving how we display photo timelines on the web (I think the experience in our mobile apps is much better here). I don't have these improvements locked down on our roadmap yet, so don't expect to see any drastic changes here in in 2017.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Ratings
RKM
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

Ho JoeV.

apart from the Biblical flood, your explanation doesn't seem to hold much water!  😉

If I take your advice and only show files before the date of, say Feb 29, 1928 (nothing significant, just an available date in the coarse timeline), absolutely no photos appear.

So nothing to delete/fix metadata for, and still the start date on the timeline remains at November 02AD.  😞

No biggie, as I wouldn't usually search the BtCloud for files/photos in the first place but, if I lost data then I might, so it is a bug that should be fixed before it becomes a problem.  There is little point in a backup facility that fails to work just when I need it!

0 Ratings
JoeV
Retired BT Expert
Message 4 of 4

Hi @RKM,

Ha, and just when I thought I'd come up with an easy solution 😉

One thing to check (I suspect you already have) would to make sure you aren't filtered to just showing photos. If you have some videos with an ancient date in the metadata then these would also cause what you're seeing on the timeline slider, even if you've filtered to just show videos.

If you're not filtered to videos only then there is indeed a bug with your account. Post back here to let me know, and I'll pass it on to the team.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Ratings