cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigbilly
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Picture Breakdown

I have an Ultra HD You View box which runs through a 5/6 year old TV.  It works perfectly for a time then the picture starts breaking down into pixels and after several calls to BT customer support I have found that it can be cured by either switching the box off completely, and back on again, or switching off and retuning the channels but the problem eventually returns after approximately 24 hours.
BT sent me another box but the same problem.  Has anybody else suffered this problem or are these boxes just not compactible with my TV ?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Picture Breakdown

Does it affect both Freeview channels and subscribed extra channels, or just FreeView channels?

If its just FreeView that is affected, then please read this link.

Picture breakup or missing FreeView channels

0 Ratings
bigbilly
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Really interesting Keith.  I always get asked if the signal is strong enough but I get 100% and am only 4 miles, as the crow flies, from a transmitter, Tachelstone. Didn't realise that a too strong signal could cause problems.  The Freeview built into the TV is fine.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

The YouView box, and many other PVRs, have a limited range of signal capability.

TV sets are designed to work over a very large signal range, as they do not have to record, and can tolerate signal errors.

The fact that you can see 100%, means it could be 100% plus, as it cannot show any higher than that.

Its something that the BT Vision helpdesk seem to overlook, and they should be made more aware of this, as it could save a lot of wasted time and money.

Try an attenuator, and get the signal down to about 95%, I am sure you will find it cures tha problem.

0 Ratings