cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjw999
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Picture breaking up on BT TV

I have problems with the picture breaking up when watching BT sport via the Internet. I have BT fibre, BT Vision, a BT router, and a BT YouView box. The box is connected to the router via a BT broadband extender kit, both plugs are plugged into a socket, not an extension lead. Most of the time the set up works perfectly well. Then, suddenly, for no reason the picture starts breaking up, freezing and going black. I have tried resetting the router and powering off the extender plugs but this doesn’t solve the problem. Turning the YouView box off and on again sometimes works. Can anybody tell me what’s causing this problem and how I can find a permanent solution?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Picture breaking up on BT TV

Best solution is to really make it so you can run a long ethernet cable from router to Youview box no matter how far round, over, under or through obstacles that takes.  Anything else is a sub-optimal solution.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

The broadband extenders are not guaranteed to work. Their performance can be degraded by the quality of your mains wiring and how much noise there is from electrical equipment. If they work, great. If they don't, they don't.

this is why Ethernet Cable is the only method BT will support for this reason.

sounds like you'll need to install an Ethernet cable from your homehub to your Youview box. Worth doing as this is how TV will be delivered in future.

0 Ratings
Glendronach
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

I have Infinity2 and UHD - it is unwatchable - picture and sound break up every 15 secs or so. Fortunately I still have HD on SKY so have resorted to watching that. 4K on SKY is perfect so looks like i'll be dumping BT when my trial ends. Anyone else got this problem or know how to fix? Having had so much pain with BT over many many years I don't have the energy to complain anymore - its just so tedious and painful. How can it make sense to spend so much money buying the rights to show European Football but not invest any thing in helping folk to use their service? Seems bonkers to me.

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

How is your box connected to the Hub? A direct wired ethernet connection is always preferred. Powerline Adaptors do not work for everybody due to the properties internal wiring.

0 Ratings
Glendronach
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

I was told I needed to have a Powerline Adaptor when I purchased. I said I already had fast (1Gb) adaptors but they said I had to have the BT ones. No mention that there would be any problems. Will be very ***EDITED*** if it turns out these are useless. I tried my other adaptors but they didn't work at all - couldn't connect to hub.

0 Ratings
Martin--W
Retired BT Expert
Message 7 of 7

Hello

If you are having issues, I am more than happy to see if I can help. Please Private Message me with your contact details and phone number or account number and I will see what I can do.

Kind regards,

Martin.

0 Ratings