cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidc3
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Picture problems

Hello, I'm hoping I can get some help here with my youview tv.
The problem is: On the HD channels, the picture will suddenly go black-screen every few minutes (sometimes more frequently) then reverts back to normal after about 2 or 3 seconds. It also pixelates every few minutes, but only for 2 or 3 seconds. I havent noticed it on Standard def channels, or on iplayer, so if it does it on them, its less frequent.

Box is DT2100, the aerial was installed via BT when I switched a month ago. The cable goes straight through to the box. The signal quality is 100% on all channels, signal strength is between 60 & 70,
If I plug the aerial straight into the TV there is no problem.

After trawling the web, I've tried the following: (without success)
Power off & on
Re-scanned the channels
Replaced HDMI cable with one from the Virgin tivo box (which I know works)
Moved cable to HDMI 4 port from HDMI 1 on tv
Removed the chromecast dongle
Changed the resolution setting from 1080p to 1080i
Bought & fitted an attenuator
Switched off Anynet+ CEC on the TV (samsung)
Moved the aerial cable as far away from HDMI cable as possible.

I've now ran out of ideas.
I really dont want to deal with phone support on this, since our activation date of Sept 23rd, BT have mucked up every aspect of our switch (phone BB & TV) & I've spent hours talking to these people, they've exhausted me & its still not sorted.

So I'm hoping you guys can help me on this

thanks for any suggestions

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
LesC
Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: Picture problems

Sounds very similar to what I've been  experiencing, particularly the cut-outs. See here: https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Digital-tv-signal-poor-on-youview-box/td-p/1480391

0 Ratings
davidc3
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Thanks, I'll try the things suggested in that thread
0 Ratings
davidc3
Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Tried the suggestions on there - waggling cable when signal is on screen, turn off/on RF loop-through.

No luck
0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 5 of 17

I've been carefully making note of what's happening with my box & it seems that my problems too are only with the (Freeview) HD channels not the SD channels despite the SD channels having a lower signal strength than their HD counterparts - for example typically, BBC1 SD around 51-55%, BBC1 HD 64-67% but the SD is fine whilst HD keeps cutting out.  I can't understand why this would be; even the BT engineer who visited reckoned a had a near perfect signal.

I have had periods of a few hours without the problem occurring but I can't spot a pattern or isolate a cause. I'm a bit of a night owl & have even noticed the channels cutting out at 2am when all the central heating/washing machines/dishwasher etc are off so seemingly ruling out local interference. I've even checked if it happens when the fridge-freezer is on or off but it makes no difference.

I also wondered if 4G interference could be a problem but if it was I'd expect the problem to be constant; I don't suppose they switch off the masts if any are nearby at any time. And why only the HD channels affected.

Very frustrating & I don't really see where to go from here. I'm kind hoping it's one of those glitches that eventually goes away eventhough you can't work out why 😉

0 Ratings
davidc3
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Yes, I also tried switching off all other electricals, with no difference.

I've now sort of given up, I watch HD channels through the TV via the RF loopthrough, & record everything in SD. Very annoying, as I mostly watch recordings, and thats the reason I got the youview box. Only thing I havent tried is a 4g filter, I begrudge paying out more money trying to fix this.

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 7 of 17

If it's a 4G related issue (and I'm doubtful it is) then you can contact the people at:  https://at800.tv/    They will be able to send you a filter if required free of change. I believe it's a bit more complicated if you have an aerial amplifier/distributor as the filter needs to be between aerial & amp which is why I've not contacted them yet. But as I said, I reckon this is a long-shot as none of my other TV tuners are affected & at times the problem is non-existant for a few hours or so.

Other than than that, a too strong signal is also said to cause the symtoms we've been experiencing but like you I've also tried fitting an attenuator which made no difference & had a BT engineer visit who said my signal was nigh on perfect.

Another thread I spotted was this one: https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Quality-issues-with-terrestrial-HD-channels/td-p/1638736  concerning boxes overheating & both my original & replacement boxes do get pretty hot but I'd assumed that to be normal & it didn't seem to cause problems previously (although the problem does appear to get worse the longer the box has been on). I'll have to see if the problem ever occurs as soon as the box is switched on...

Like you I may have to resort to recording in SD which is a real pain.

As I've already had a BT engineer visit I'm not sure what the next course of action is; I really don't fancy going through it all again with the 'Helpdesk' in india...

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 8 of 17

Also very frustrating that the only way to contact BT to follow up a job is to use the 'contact us' facility where someone in India who hasn't a clue will offer to call you & go through a script & ask you the same silly questions again...

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 9 of 17

Called 'at800' on 0808 13 13 800, who were very helpful & suggested problem could be due to 4G interference so they are sending an engineer round on Saturday morning to investigate, all free of charge. They advise he will investigate and discern if problem is due to 4G interference and if so fit a filter between aerial & amplifier in the loft.

So this may solve the problem but if not will at least confirm the problem lies with the BT Youview box.

0 Ratings
davidc3
Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Thanks for that, I'll try them also.

Failing that, I think I'll just sit it out & dump BT when I can (11 months & counting!) I've also had major problems with my broadband & phone, with very little help from the "help" centre. 

Will probably look at Sky then, or buy a PVR (probably not Humax!)

0 Ratings