cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chaza_uk93
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Ping and packet loss spikes when gaming. Have had Problem for months, please help.

So I've had a problem with packet loss and ping spikes for about 5 months now and I'm really getting sick of it. I'll get ping spikes quite often (they last for about 5 second at a time, where I cannot do anything, efectively freezing my online play) and the only way to fix it is to restart the Hub. However, this is only temporary and the problem comes back within a couple of hours. I have done quite a few things to try and fix this (Flushing DNS, using netalyzr test to diagnose, trying to change MTU which you cant do in BT HomeHubs, changing DNS settings in Anti Virus software, using different DNS, reinstalling Windows) and it just won't go away. I happens in every multiplayer game I play, no exceptions. Note that this is happening on a wired connection through the 1gbit port on a BT HomeHub 4.

One person said it might be something to do with the "ISP routing" but I don't have any knowledge about what that is.

I would very much appreciate a response.

Thanks,

Chaz

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Murtel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Ping and packet loss spikes when gaming. Have had Problem for months, please help.

Try putting the device in DMZ so its put outside of the hubs firewall. Used to have to always do this with Xbox or PlayStation as otherwise you join games with certain others.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Re: Ping and packet loss spikes when gaming. Have had Problem for months, please help.

@chaza_uk93 wrote:

One person said it might be something to do with the "ISP routing" but I don't have any knowledge about what that is.

It is how your ISP (BT in this case) routes the packets from the server hosting the game to your Hub, which is entirely beyond your control.

0 Ratings
chaza_uk93
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

I'll try this and report back, thanks.

0 Ratings
chaza_uk93
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

I've added my PC to the DMZ and it has made no difference.

This is the ping spike I get when playing dota 2. http://i.imgur.com/xmlyi5w.png

It's usually supposed to sit at 35ms ping.

0 Ratings