Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Pixelation and break-up of internet channels

Go to solution

Hi,

I've had a problem with pixelation and break-up of the internet channels for a quite while now. I've been onto the help desk and i've performed various resets with no resolution to the problem. I've replaced Ethernet cables and HDMI cables all to no avail, the channels still break-up.

Is it a problem with my Home hub or is it the YouView box?

Scott. T

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 24

Re: Pixelation and break-up of internet channels

Go to solution

Have you checked your internet speed. If they are live channels e.g. BT Sport it is IPTV streamed. Often Netflix is more stable because its buffered and not effectively live. Check the speed first is probably the best way forward. I use stand ard definition on BT progs and I have typically 16GB down 1GB up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

Hi,

Mostly notice the pixelation issues on Disney a Junior when the kids are watching. I also watch the Discovery Channel a lot and that has pixelation issues also.

My upload speed = 9 Mb , Download = 41Mb so I've got good internet signal. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Noise on the phone line will cause picture breakup even if your connection speed is fine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution
Hi Keith,

There's no real noise as such! No real interference that I can hear!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

What home hub type, how far is it from the BT socket, and did you originally have pixelation or is it new. It could be their signal as pixellation is normally means you are near the digital cliff for example if it was freeview, i.e. digital signals just break up and go unlike analogue ones that just fade into noise. What are the other live channels like.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution
It's a Homehub 5 type A and is right next to main socket. It's a new BT Youview box as the first one broke but we had pixelation on the previous box also.
The normal freeview channels are great it's just the internet channels where the interference occurs.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @Thirlaz

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having.  I appreciate this must be incredibly frustrating.  I have a wee man in the house and if anything disrupted his cartoons he would not be impressed and I would hear about it Smiley Sad

Disney Junior and Discovery are both IP channels meaning they work via your broadband connection.  From the speed you say you have it very unlikely to be related to speed but it could still have something to do with your internet connection, perhaps there are errors on your line as this could well cause the problem you describe.

When you see the pixilation, are there any error messages displayed on screen?  Pixilation is sometimes accompanied by error IPC6023 and this may indicate a problem with your broadband connection.

We would be more than happy to give everything the once over from our end.  Can you please drop me an email.  If you click on my username >>SeanD<< you will find the 'Mods contact link' under the 'About me' section of my profile.  Fill in your details and this will generate an email which will come directly to us.  

Once we have your details we can get to the bottom of the problem.

Cheers

Sean 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution
Sean,

Thanks for your reply!
I was doing an online chat with the help desk the other day and they went through some things with me.
I had to reset the hub then switch the Ethernet cable around and use port 4 on the hub for the BT TV box.
They then told me to go into BT Player and play a trailer for a Show/film. The guy said this would update the box. After doing this the pixelation seems to have stopped up to now anyway.
Do you still want me to fill in my details so you can check the line?

Regards,

Scott. T
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @Thirlaz,

That's great news Scott thank for coming back to let me know.  I am just sorry it took so long to find a solution.

I wont need your details at this point.  It sounds like it wasn't down to your broadband connection after all Smiley Surprised which is great.  Keep an eye on things and should the problem return then my offer of help remains open Smiley Wink Just post back here to let us know

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings