cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Professor
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Plagued by Password Problems

The current problems I'm experiecing with my password started back in the summer last year (2014). What would happen is that, whilst on my PC, Outlook would, out of the blue, suddenly request that I enter my password - which it already had, of course. But when I did renter it, it still kept on requesting it and refused to send or receive any email. I then turned to my iPhone, and it too was no-longer able to send or receive email, claiming an invalid password.

I then went onto my BT home page and accessed my BT Yahoo email via the internet, which was still working. However, after a while I would even find myself blocked from BT Yahoo account - BT requesting that I reset my password. I would do that, and for a while, Outlook, iPhone and BT Internet all worked fine. A few weeks later however, we have a reapeat performance - Outlook stops working, iPhone stops working and I'm back having to use the BT Yahoo website. I reset my password again. This scenario has played out numerous time over the last 8 - 10 months.

I became so frustrated in Jamuary this year, that I contacted the BT email helpline and an engineer (who I have to say had very little patience with me, regarding the problems I was having as self-inflicted) eventually gave me a new password and reset it for me at their end, telling me this would cure all my failed password problems - and it did, for a while. The whole fiasco kicked off again several weeks later. Again another BT engineer reset my password at the beginning of April this year - it lasted a week before the dreaded Outlook dialog, "Enter Username and Password" appeared and my iPhone stopped receiving - again.

Recently passwords have been lasting for only a few days and it's not been unsually to have to reset my password several times in one day. It's becoming a nightmare. I need a password to last more than a few hours, days or even weeks. I need Outlook working. I need to be able to use my iPhone to send and receive email, not worrying about when the next "failed password" error message is going to appear - forcing me back onto the BT Yahoo website.

I've raised this issue via the BT helpline with two of their engineers now, and despite their best efforts and assurances, the problem is still present and as bad as ever. I can't carry on like this and it's affecting, not just my social life, but my working life too.

Does anyone have a longterm fix for this problem? And am I alone in this experience?

Prof.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Plagued by Password Problems

The long term fix is that one day BT will finally dump Yahoo and migrate everyone to the new BTMail.  Until then, there's nothing you can do about it.  It's a Yahoo issue, and BT don't really have any control over what Yahoo does.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

@Professor wrote:

The current problems I'm experiecing with my password started back in the summer last year (2014). What would happen is that, whilst on my PC, Outlook would, out of the blue, suddenly request that I enter my password - which it already had, of course. But when I did renter it, it still kept on requesting it and refused to send or receive any email. I then turned to my iPhone, and it too was no-longer able to send or receive email, claiming an invalid password.

I then went onto my BT home page and accessed my BT Yahoo email via the internet, which was still working. However, after a while I would even find myself blocked from BT Yahoo account - BT requesting that I reset my password. I would do that, and for a while, Outlook, iPhone and BT Internet all worked fine. A few weeks later however, we have a reapeat performance - Outlook stops working, iPhone stops working and I'm back having to use the BT Yahoo website. I reset my password again. This scenario has played out numerous time over the last 8 - 10 months.

I became so frustrated in Jamuary this year, that I contacted the BT email helpline and an engineer (who I have to say had very little patience with me, regarding the problems I was having as self-inflicted) eventually gave me a new password and reset it for me at their end, telling me this would cure all my failed password problems - and it did, for a while. The whole fiasco kicked off again several weeks later. Again another BT engineer reset my password at the beginning of April this year - it lasted a week before the dreaded Outlook dialog, "Enter Username and Password" appeared and my iPhone stopped receiving - again.

Recently passwords have been lasting for only a few days and it's not been unsually to have to reset my password several times in one day. It's becoming a nightmare. I need a password to last more than a few hours, days or even weeks. I need Outlook working. I need to be able to use my iPhone to send and receive email, not worrying about when the next "failed password" error message is going to appear - forcing me back onto the BT Yahoo website.

I've raised this issue via the BT helpline with two of their engineers now, and despite their best efforts and assurances, the problem is still present and as bad as ever. I can't carry on like this and it's affecting, not just my social life, but my working life too.

Does anyone have a longterm fix for this problem? And am I alone in this experience?

Prof.

It is likely you are suffering from the problem of multiple device access to your email account.  You need to ensure that if you are accessing your email by several devices and methods that they do not conflict. 

I have sent you a private message (PM) that gives general longterm fix to the problem.  Please feel free to reply via the PM method. I have found that this is the best mechanism to progress the issue.

0 Ratings
Professor
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Thank you for that. I'll have a look at the PM you sent.

Prof.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

If the proposed "general long term fix" actually works could you please post back what it was so that others might benefit from it, as that is the purpose of this public forum.

0 Ratings
woodsterry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Give us all the FIX as I have had this issue for over a year now. Annoying.
0 Ratings
woodsterry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Which is why Im here now Password changing AGAIN.
0 Ratings