Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caerphilly
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Please Uncap My Max Achievable Speeds

Go to solution

EDITED: PROBLEM RESOLVED!

I thought my line profile was being capped by engineers who tweaked my speeds for stability. I know realise that the speedtest result for Maximum Achievable Speeds only shows the maximum speeds that my line can achieve!

Thanks for the info, without it I would have always had my doubts!

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
lovelylisa22
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Please Uncap My Max Achievable Speeds or I am Terminating My Contract

Go to solution

Aren't the speeds based on "up to"?

You will have to show the forum members your router stats and and speedtest results in order to get any advice.

0 Ratings
Caerphilly
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

- YES!

Up to Max Achievable Speeds: Download 76Mb/ Upload 20Mb ........NOT capped at 40Mb!

Advertising does NOT say anything about capping your line speeds! read the terms!

This should not be an issue, simply uncap my Upload/Download Speeds to those advertised my line can get up to(Download 76Mb / Upload 20Mb)

How on earth can my line Achieve better speeds in the furture whilst BT claims they are constantly improving their speeds/service if my line is capped to not achieve anymore!

UNCAP MY LINE PROFILE to Max Achievable Speeds: Download 76Mb / Upload 20Mb and we are all happy!

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

This is a customer to customer based help site. The only bt employees here are the mods. Could you please show us the results from the bt speedtester including the ip profile and your estimated speeds that bt give you. It may be that you are too far away from the street cab to be able to recieve any faster than 40mbps.

0 Ratings
lovelylisa22
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Again you need to post results from your router and a speedtest before anybody can help you.

Also as the above poster said you may be too far away and the cap may have been placed because you can only handle that speed based on your line.  Without your router stats and a speedtest result nobody can help you.

0 Ratings
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Your "max acheivable speed" is not something that is set by either BT or Openreach, but is a function of your live quality.

Your connection will be "capped" at 80 down and 20 up - that's the nature of contract - but whether or not those speeds are acheivable is entirely up to the length and quality of the copper between your house and the FTTC cabinet.

When your connection is made, the hardware at either end of that length of coppper wire determines the highest stable speed you can achieve - and this can fluctuate. That is your "max achievable speed" or "IP Profile". Openreach could, were they so minded, restart your connection from scratch, but if your line is only capable of, let's say, 51Mbps, then that's the most you will get.

I, too, would ask you to show us the results of your tests at speedtester, which will also show us what your IP Profile is.

I might also ask, have you been powering the modem down at all??

0 Ratings
Caerphilly
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

I appreciate everyone’s time, comments/replies.

- I don’t care if my line is to far away to achieve anymore!
- I don’t care if it’s a hardware/software/maintenance/old copper line problem!

All I am asking is for BT to simply UNCAP MY LINE PROFILE to Max Achievable Speeds: Download 76Mb / Upload 20Mb

^

- I can see a definite pattern in past speedtests run @ http://speedtester.bt.com/
Download: The lower you cap my Maximum Download Achievable Speeds, the lower My Download Speeds are Achieving
Upload: Fortunately, my Maximum Upload Achievable Speeds have never been capped!

My Download Speed is currently capped at 40Mb!

This should not be a problem SIMPLY UNCAP my Maximum Achievable Download Speed or is it being shared with another BT customer in my street!

BT please put all my doubts to rest and simply Uncap My Maximum Achievable Speeds as advertised. Otherwise there are always going to be doubts in my head because I can see a definite pattern in past speed tests.

The lower you cap my profile: Maximum Download Achievable Speeds, the lower My Download Speeds are Achieving !

0 Ratings
lovelylisa22
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

You are not helping yourself at all here and quite frankly if you keep demanding that BT uncap your speeds without posting your stats or speedtest results then it isn't going to happen when in all fairness it's probably the maximum speed your line can handle.

Post your router and BT speedtest results or there is nothing we can do for you on this forum.

Caerphilly
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Speed stats: http://i45.tinypic.com/hsu89k.png

If possible, can my lines Profile: Maximum Achievable Download Speed be increased as I am hitting the limit?

In my eyes it seems to be capped at 40.37Mbps

0 Ratings
lovelylisa22
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

According to that your IP profile is correct for the connection you are getting.

Can you post the stats from your Homehub showing your downstream and upstream and other line stats and we will be able to know for sure if that is the speed your line supports.

0 Ratings