cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Please help: Severe BT Infinity 2/Home Hub 5 wifi issues

I have been suffering drops outs roughly every 5 minutes since my BT wifi was installed about a year ago.

This means, for example, that music from wireless speakers is severely disrupted and phone calls from the BT Smart Talk app are terminated, plus internet browsing is inconsistent.

I have:

• BT Infinity 2 Fibre Optic broadband
  • Home Hub 5 

I have an old house with thick walls and I primarily use Apple products so understand this can be problematic. It takes about 24 hours to download a TV programme from Sky.  On the upside I live about 100 yards from the BT exchange box in the street.  

Having read some advice from other users, I split the dual band into two channels:

• 5GHz
  • 2.4GHZ

Additionally, my Hub settings are:

• Sync with 2.4/5 GHz channel - No
  • Automatic channel selection - On
  • Smart Set-Up switched - Off 

Wifi was still dropping out so then I've invested over £150 in:

• Firstly, BT Dual Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 with limited success - wifi going further but still drop outs
  • Then, BT Mini Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit - new wifi network but still drop outs
  • And BT Mini Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Add-on

So the drop-outs still persist, even when using the Home Hotspot and ethernet cable wired to my music speakers.

I have now exhausted all my ideas (and patience) of how to resolve this hugely frustrating and increasingly costly issue. Not to mention the many hours I've spent trying to find a solution.

Can anybody help?

Thank you in advance.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Please help: Severe BT Infinity 2/Home Hub 5 wifi issues

If it is your Ethernet and Wireless that is dropping out you should buy an Openreach modem for about £20 from an auction site. Plug it in to replace your Homehub 5 and connect the Homehub 5 to the modem. This will more than likely stop the disconnects that you are having.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Thank you for your response. 

What does an Openreach modem do?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

Your hh5 is a modem and router combined into one unit. Many customers have found that by using a separate modem to connect to the internet and the hh5 as just a router helped their stability. Before the hh5 the standard installation was openreach modem and hh3/4. There are many post on the board about using a modem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

I've spent the last couple of weeks testing different variations of the wifi extender and home hotspot but still no luck.

I'm reluctant to buy yet another piece of kit (ie modem), particularly as that sounds like it's compensating for the Home Hub 5 not working propery, but am prepared to try anything.

Before I do that, are there some tests that BT can run for me - e.g. test the line into my house; check for static; check the Home Hub 5?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

if the hub is connecting to the internet and holding conenction and your problem is therefore your wireless devices are having difficulty connecting to hub and then problems holding that connection then there is nothing BT can do to help you with your wifi connection.

if wifi is the problem then a separate modem won't help but mabe a different modem router will give a stronger wifi signal thoughout your home - unlikely if very thick walls

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

You have not made it clear if it is your wireless connection that is dropping out or if it is your connection to your house that is the problem. Obviously if it is the connection to the house that is dropping out nothing you do to your wireless signal will stop the drop outs.

If it is your wireless that drops out you might need to consider a combination of Ethernet and wireless access points where the "dead" spots are.

You need to establish if the connection is dropping to the house or if it is the HH5 that is the problem or if it is purely a wireless problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

I'm not clear as I don't know whether it's the line into the house, the HomeHub, the wifi, or the internal wiring that is the issue - or, possibly, more than one of those.

The various scenarios I've tried suggest it's a wifi or wiring issue - but I can't be sure.

For instance, when I connect the wireless speaker by ethernet to the powerline hotspot it still drops out - albeit I guess that could be because the wifi signal from the device playing the music has dropped.

If a separate modem doesn't help the wifi, and the wireless access points are working either, I'm not sure what else I can do?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

If you post the stats from the Homehub 5 it should show the length of time your connection has been maintained. You can get the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 19

I don't think you have demonstrated that your problems are not wireless problems.

Is it possible to connect a device to the homehub using ethernet cable, not powerline, not wifi ? If you can do this, you can then see if that solves the problem.

On your homehub wireless settings, I suggest you manually select a channel to stop smart wireless swapping channels.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings