cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 11 of 19

Re: Please help: Severe BT Infinity 2/Home Hub 5 wifi issues

I've spoken to BT who have tested the line and they say it's fine - "only" two drops off in the last 7 days.

They're sending a new HH5 although I'm sceptical that will make any difference.

If it still doesn't work then they are sending an engineer.

I've tried different channels rather than auto select and the same problems exist.

Thanks for your help with this.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 12 of 19

I am still experiencing serious wifi issues and have had no service for nearly 48 hours.

BT sent an engineer who reported no issues with broadband and advised it must be wireless interference. I understand the logic, as the light on the HH5 is always blue but I remain unconvinced.

Firstly, how can I detect "wireless interference"?

Secondly, the only possible common theme we can identify is that the wifi doesn't work when it's raining or damp - could this suggest the wiring or not?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 19

Download an app called wifi analyser or innsider on a phone, or innsider ( double n) on a pc and open then up. It will show clearly what networks are around you and on what channel. Last year I had to resort to getting my neighbours to arange non conflicting channels as interference was affecting our signals.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 19

you can try downloading inssider3 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

inssider3.1.2.1

check here for possible inteference causes 

interference causes

you can also check for rein using a portable radio tuned to 612MW  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 15 of 19

Thanks for your suggestions.

Is innsider free? I clicked on the link but was asked for Licence key.

As the weather has been drier, the wifi has again improved.

I presumed the wifi extenders could not be a source of the problem but could they? They flit between red, green and yellow. When on red, does the wifi therefore just come from the hub and the extender is ignored, or could the extender in effect blobk the signal being transmitted further?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 19

@WaltJabsco wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions.

Is innsider free? I clicked on the link but was asked for Licence key.

There should be a free version, but if you cannot find one, there is an earlier version on my website

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/software/insidder.zip

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 19

the link is still to free version but did you select the free trial of inssider office?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 18 of 19

Hi did you ever fix this issue?

This definitely sounds like wifi interference to me. Have a think of everything and anything that is wifi or wireless of some description. Do you have any environmental monitors etc. I've had bad experiences myself in the past with customers premises that the wifi is operating in and had one where there was absolutely no signal being broadcasted at all from an enterprise grade wifi point in one part of the building. After days of troubleshooting finally found the signal was being blocked by a environmental monitor that the manufacturer "guaranteed wouldn't interfere with wifi" not the customers fault. Moment I turned the thing off everything started to work.

Incidentally that signal was not detected with insider as I ran all the tests.

Hope this helps someone!!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 19 of 19

My wifi has improved. I changed a cable that ran from the BT box into the house, moved the router into a more central position, and also made my Apple Time Capsule to be my router. Which one or combination of those three made the difference I'm not sure but, for the moment, it's improved.

0 Ratings