cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skydan
Message 1 of 7

Please help - lower speeds than dial up

Hello all,

This is my last attempt to fix this issue before I have no choice but to cancel my broadband altogether.

I like in a small country village where BT is the only option for broadband, at the very start BT said I would never get a connection better than 1mb. I have been with BT for years now and I have always had around 0.9 mbs down speed (via speedtest.net). This speed was fine for me, I use the PC for gaming etc and it worked like a dream, very stable. 

However within the last month, I noticed videos stopped downloading, pages took a long time to load. I tested the speed and it was 0.34 mbs. I phoned BT and the person I spoke to said to me that getting the new router hub 3 (was on hub 2 before) would solbe my issues, however I had to get a new contract, which i did. However that same day the speed seemed to fix itself again, raiding to 0.65- 0.70.

The router arrived and I tested my old router again before installing the new one, I got 0.72, i installed the new router, new filters calbes etc and it was still 0.72, I was sad that it didnt help, however 0.72 is fine, since i was getting 0.9 originally.

Day after, the speed crashed to 0.12, I cant download anything, I can't watch videos, I can't play any online games which I have been subscribed for years. I phoned BT again and they said not to use the phone for 20 mins, they will test the line. They never got back to me and I am having to phone BT every day and explain the EXACT same issues and this entire story every time, nothing is being done and its really stressing me out. 

This is my 4th day @ 0.12 and I am paying money for it, already paid for games I have to download (now impossible) and paying a subscription for a online game I can no longer play.

Please someone help me, all I am asking for is my original speed of 0.7 - 0.9 back again, it's not too much to ask for?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Please help - lower speeds than dial up

Hi Welcome to the forums

If you post the full stats from your router

For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser

Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.

also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.
0 Ratings
skydan
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply, i will try the line test and get back to you, meanwhile here is hub info

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 02:02:57
Downstream:1,088 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.4 dB / 10.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):63.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):15.8 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):5882 / 77
CRC Events (Down/Up):137 / 13
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):599 / 14
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
skydan
Message 4 of 7

speedtester bt

IP Profile for your line is - 250 Kbps

Download speedachieved during the test was - 221 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1088 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

Seems today its up to 0.22, double what yesterday was but still not the 0.5 I have been assured I would get, and certainly not the 0.9 it has been for years.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Hi you are having a lot of disconnections or are you restarting the hub to try and improve your speed the disconnections are shown by your low ip profile for your profile to improve you need your hub to remain connected with no restarts for the next 3/5 days your speed will then improve
0 Ratings
skydan
Message 6 of 7

I did try a new filter etc, I will do as you say and leave it for 3 days and see what happens, thankyou.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

HI it may in some cases take the full 5 days so please be patient if it has not risen by then we can advise you of the next steps to take
0 Ratings